Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask CMP
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2021, 04:12 PM

Any foam lined case (hard or soft sided) should be used for transport only. There are too many stories of retained humidity causing rust to use these for storage. Short term; well that means many things to many people. Rifles are generally shipped in these so a few days is generally fine. These are used for travel as well but I suggest not sealing in the case and leaving it; take it out, inspect and oil weekly (+/- based on climate).
As far as transport, they are hard rigid and foam lined, so different from a soft sided, most likely foam lined case. They are generally larger, so take up more room than the soft side cases. Better? Up to you and your requirements for a case. I have both hard and soft cases; no preference on range days except size to fit what I bring.

Remember, if one was best then the others wouldn't exist; they do for different requirements for different people/use.

JH

Zvenoman's Feedback Thread
Old 05-26-2021, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPrice View Post
I am curious about the black Garand cases. Are these standard with new Garand purchases?

In the past few months I have bought both a green, egg-shell foam case and a week ago the black case from local owners.

Do people find these to be a good storage (short-term) and transport cases, if a little bigger and heavier than nylon/fabric cases?
Ok, Looking at CMP Garand unboxing videos on Youtube, there is a pattern to when these cases appear. The cases used by the CMP have varied over time.

Green Case - Aug 2011 to Feb 2018
Unmarked Black case - Mar 2018
It says Flambeau on outside and is identical to tan case.
Tan Case - Jul 2018- Dec 2019
Black Case - Jan 21 to current.

The CMP may have used other undocumented cases over time, but these are pretty common.

There are 2 types of the black case. One has a hard plastic liner specifically designed for Garands. The other case is foam lined and is used with the bolt action rifles. Externally, both cases look the same.

Both of the new cases come with a blue plastic inset made by Zerust which is a rust inhibitor.
Old 06-06-2021, 11:58 PM

I like the foam lined one so I can carry an rifle in it. Just git this one at the TMP with a 1917 as well as a 1903A3
https://imgur.com/a/krmmDhY
Old 07-03-2021, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLB View Post
The custom shop shipped my rifle in my green case and the cardboard box was marked 14x4.5x54. Approximate dimensions of the green CMP case are 12.5 (at the handle) x4.5x53. I don't have the black case and the tan is in storage.
So are the hardcases shipped in a cardboard exterior shipping box?
Been wondering getting ready to place an order first since 1990's.
Thanks.