Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Auction
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2013, 09:22 AM

Default Need help with valuation - NOT a for sale post

Gentlemen,

My son and I have a Remington 1903 with a ladder sight and scant stock, but other than that we do not know much about it. I bought it from the CMP about ten years ago. It is a Remington, SN: 3287366, and is in very good condition and a great shooter. I do not think there is anything special about this rifle that would make it particularly rare or valuable, but I figured this is the best place to get knowledgeable advice, which we need.

My son graduated from Valley Forge Military Academy and is in the Army now and he wants to sell this particular rifle to a classmate from Valley Forge, so the buyer is determined, this is not for sale to anyone else. What we want to know is what is a fair price, and we see them anywhere from about $550 to $850 or so. Because the young man is a friend of my son's we were going to go for about $650, we want to be fair but not go for top-end auction prices.

Thanks much!

John
Old 12-23-2013, 09:33 AM

I tried this past weekend to locate what you have at a local gunshow. Remember, this is the weekend before Christmas. If there is a show that could be a buyers market, this is it. I couldn't locate a 1903 as you describe for under $750. Your $650 price is more than fair, I would call it the "family rate".

Merry Christmas.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:40 AM

Thanks, Red Arrow! A live show is good recent info! Preesh!
Old 12-24-2013, 10:57 PM

Here's one that will be sold at auction on Sat., Dec. 28th. I attend this auction frequently and the prices there are generally a pretty accurate estimate of market value.
https://www.proxibid.com/asp/LotDeta...T-ACTION-RIFLE
Old 12-25-2013, 12:04 PM

Thanks, I'll watch that one.