Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > EIC Pistol
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2020, 05:40 PM

Default Interested in EIC Pistol

Fellows. Don't know where to start so I'll ask some maybe silly questions. I'm a NRA/CMP HighPower rifle shooter. I "might" have an interest in (I think) EIC pistol shooting after doing some handgun shooting yesterday. I did a very fast read thru the CMP Pistol rules book so pardon me if I past over rules that should have been obvious to me.

Questions:

1) I have a Kimber 22cal RF conversion unit that I currently have installed on a Colt 1911 Commander frame. Would this setup be EIC (or any CMP event) legal?

2) I have a Rock Island Armory "Commander" (4.5" bbl?) 45ACP would this also be legal?

3) My understanding of the Rules is that firing is done at 25 and 50 yards. Seems waaaay far from the "usual" 7 yard shooting (some time 15) I do. IF...and that's a big IF.... I get serious about shooting Pistol..... any suggestions about shooting at what seems to me LONGGGG ranges? I suppose I can get the needed targets and try shooting them at 25 and 50 yards (if my current pistols are "legal").

4) Ammo... I "assume" for the centerfire pistol one can handload. Correct? and if so what loading for 9mm (have a S&W Shield and Sig P6...those "legal"?)and 45acp is "usually" used ( I fully realize that's a real general question)?

Maybe more questions to follow....
Old 11-27-2020, 06:14 PM

Fellows. Gee... I read thru the previous post questions...and answers about EIC Pistol shooting.

Maybe I best stick to Rifle... ...

No... I'd "consider" trying EIC pistol but Perhaps the equipment I currently have is ...not to competitive. This 50 yard shooting stuff sounds...challenging and it seems the equipment I currently have is waaaaay out of its league right off the bat.

My pistol "skill" level aside... any recommendations on a handgun (Or what a handgun should have to be competitive) that MAYBE I should consider before being "disappointed" by my match results?

I think I can relate to what I'm asking by my experiences at rifle HP where a "newbie" shows up with a "factory" AR and store bought ammo only to scatter POI all over a target. It's discouraging but part of it being so is that the"newbie" doesn't look into this type of shooting before he shows up to a match. When he does he sees $$$$$$$.

So... with that in mind....be "gentle" with your response
Old 11-27-2020, 06:35 PM

Does your Kimber .22 conversion have adjustable sights? If so, it would be fine for the .22 pistol EICs. You’re going to need a new service pistol though.
Old 11-27-2020, 10:06 PM

Before you get too involved, I would suggest you find a Precision Pistol (Bullseye) match in your area and shoot the .22 portion with your conversion. I would call or email the match director and let him know you are a newbie and could use some guidance.

Let him know what your aim is and that you want to just shoot the .22 portion to get a feel for what pistol shooting is like.

He may let you watch the .22 match to see how the targets turn and how the commands work. You could then shoot your .22 during the Centerfire portion.
Old 11-28-2020, 03:10 PM

Default Pistol interest

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpm32 View Post
Does your Kimber .22 conversion have adjustable sights? If so, it would be fine for the .22 pistol EICs. You’re going to need a new service pistol though.
The Kimber features adjustable sights.

Do competitors shooting 22rf try various 22rf ammo for accuracy in these pistols (similar to shooting Smallbore"?
Old 11-28-2020, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptf18 View Post
The Kimber features adjustable sights.

Do competitors shooting 22rf try various 22rf ammo for accuracy in these pistols (similar to shooting Smallbore"?
Accuracy is not as big a deal in pistol as it is in smallbore—it’s probably more important that the ammo cycles well. Maybe others will have a different experience, but I find that the really expensive .22s aren’t any more accurate than Ruger Standards or Buckmarks, they’re just more adjustable. To prove this for a Bullseye clinic, one of the HMs put an Ultradot on a 22/45 and shot an 894 once. I’ve got Hammerlis, Feinwerkbaus, etc., but I legged out with a Ruger Lite that I picked up for under $300. Simply holding the black at 50 yards is usually good enough for leg points in pistol.
Old 11-28-2020, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDRT View Post
Before you get too involved, I would suggest you find a Precision Pistol (Bullseye) match in your area and shoot the .22 portion with your conversion. I would call or email the match director and let him know you are a newbie and could use some guidance.

Let him know what your aim is and that you want to just shoot the .22 portion to get a feel for what pistol shooting is like.

He may let you watch the .22 match to see how the targets turn and how the commands work. You could then shoot your .22 during the Centerfire portion.
CDRT... That is sound advise and I will do just that.....in the mean time I'm sort of "poking around" at a "suitable" 45ACP.

I'll start a new post
Old 11-29-2020, 07:00 AM

I recommend that you obtain a rule book and study it. That will eliminate a few surprises.