Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > National Matches - Camp Perry
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2021, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpm32 View Post
The two worse things that can happen at Perry are that you get heat exhaustion in the pits or your credit card catches fire on Commercial Row.
Bring cash for Commercial Row. I've had two separate instances where my credit card was hacked shortly after using it on the row. Using my credit card at the CMP store has never been an issue. The guys in the condo got a real laugh when Cap One called and wanted to know if I had placed an order with "Russian Brides dot com"...
Old 04-13-2021, 11:52 AM

Just received a notice that there will no tent camping this year, because the RV park shower rooms will not be open because of Covid.
DR #1724
President's Hundred
Old 04-13-2021, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike miller View Post
Just received a notice that there will no tent camping this year, because the RV park shower rooms will not be open because of Covid.
Not surprising. Nationwide, nothing is back to normal, and I don't see normal for at least another year, maybe longer.

VFW Patriots Circle Member
NRA Life Member
PMRPC - CMP/GSM Rifle Match Chairman
GSM Master Instructor
Old 04-14-2021, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeEmPee View Post
Thank you for the info!

So, can I assume that there's additional parking near the ranges? I can't picture them making everyone walk 1.5mi with all their gear.
Go look at the pictures on the CMP site of all the people on the line with all their gear.

The ones on Viale walked at least a mile if not more, I know I was one of them 2009- 2019 .

After the first year I got a garden cart from Fleet Fram and pullet rather than carried all my stuff. $69 rather than $550 from Creedmoor for their shooting cart.

All the best
Old 04-14-2021, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnhusker View Post
Go look at the pictures on the CMP site of all the people on the line with all their gear.

The ones on Viale walked at least a mile if not more, I know I was one of them 2009- 2019 .

After the first year I got a garden cart from Fleet Fram and pullet rather than carried all my stuff. $69 rather than $550 from Creedmoor for their shooting cart.

All the best

The purpose-built carts aren't just for carting your stuff, but to have everything at the line in an organized fashion. Saves time better spent on other things.
Old 04-14-2021, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeEmPee View Post
Does anyone know how 'tent camping' works at the national matches?

This will be my first year attending (was SUPPOSED to be last year, but we all know what happened there).

It says you get a 200sq ft area and are allowed up to 2 tents, but is there parking available nearby? can you park in your tent area and 'car camp?' I have a small van that would look funny in a full RV site, but would fit in the tent area if allowed to.

Worse comes to worst, I could just park my van somewhere close by if allowed (to keep my firearms secure) and then set up a tent in the reserved area (if i get one).

Would it be better to try and stay in the barracks instead?

Do people typically leave all their rifles/equipment in their barracks while they're shooting a match?

Are the tent sites/barracks/parking close enough to the range to walk there with all the equipment necessary to shoot (in a wagon or cart)?

Lots of questions, I know...but I couldn't really find any information/pictures on specifics...just the rates and reservation dates.

Thanks in advance!
They canceled tent camping
Old 04-14-2021, 09:21 PM

Quote:

All the best
they don't call it the Viale death march for nothing!
Old 04-15-2021, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpm32 View Post
Are you going with a group of people to walk you through the process? Itís not that hard to figure out, but it does help the first time.

The two worse things that can happen at Perry are that you get heat exhaustion in the pits or your credit card catches fire on Commercial Row.
Going by myself as of right now. I moved to Indianapolis in the late fall of 2019 and it hasn't really been a very conducive environment for 'making friends' in the past year and a half.

I'll stay hydrated and beware spontaneous combustion of small plastic items on hand, thank you sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oney View Post
Bring cash for Commercial Row. I've had two separate instances where my credit card was hacked shortly after using it on the row. Using my credit card at the CMP store has never been an issue. The guys in the condo got a real laugh when Cap One called and wanted to know if I had placed an order with "Russian Brides dot com"...
Noted, sir! Maybe i'll just leave the CC's at home so I'm not even tempted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike miller View Post
Definitely good to know ahead of time, thank you. I just called in my barracks reservation about an hour ago.

Quote:

All the best
I did EXACTLY this after shooting at Camp Atterbury (Indiana) last year with CIHPRS (High Power Club). The walk to/from the firing line was MURDER on a hot day. I went to Northern Tool and equipment and justified the purchase with the wife as a 'dual- purpose' item we could use in the garden/around the yard, and also as a beach buggy for vacations/day trips as well! It was an easy sell, and cost a third of the over-priced competition carts (definitely not throwing shade at any of you 'real' competitors out there that deserve the best of the best...I'm just a hobbyist and not really a competitor.)
Old 04-15-2021, 09:46 AM

Hi SeeEmPee,

They usually have golf carts or four wheeler's with flat bed trailers that you can hitch a ride on, this might not be a option with covis!
They looks like a WW-2 refugee wagon with all sorts of people & their carts & wagons on the flat bed! It sure beats walking!

Try to get there early for your match, so you can settle down & do well!

Buy the wagon or cart with the BIGGEST wheels you can find!

Have a sturdy tarp or a home made wooden cap handy. Something that will fit securely over your cart if it rains & make it harder for something to fall off or be stolen. Sadly this happens from time to time!

You will leave the cart for a period of time- checking in or down range pulling targets.
We teamed up with two fellow shooters, they watched our stuff & we did the same!
You will see carts that have their wheels locked & capped. You will see two or three nice rifles & all the other needed equipment just laying around for a half hour or more!

We had a wonderful time & hope to do it again!
broom
Old 04-15-2021, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by broomhandle View Post
Hi SeeEmPee,

They usually have golf carts or four wheeler's with flat bed trailers that you can hitch a ride on, this might not be a option with covis!
They looks like a WW-2 refugee wagon with all sorts of people & their carts & wagons on the flat bed! It sure beats walking!

Try to get there early for your match, so you can settle down & do well!

Buy the wagon or cart with the BIGGEST wheels you can find!

Have a sturdy tarp or a home made wooden cap handy. Something that will fit securely over your cart if it rains & make it harder for something to fall off or be stolen. Sadly this happens from time to time!

You will leave the cart for a period of time- checking in or down range pulling targets.
We teamed up with two fellow shooters, they watched our stuff & we did the same!
You will see carts that have their wheels locked & capped. You will see two or three nice rifles & all the other needed equipment just laying around for a half hour or more!

We had a wonderful time & hope to do it again!
broom
All excellent tips and the security of my items is something I hadn't even taken into consideration until just now. I did buy the '800lb' garden cart and the tires are about as big as they get for the style with the 'drop down'/removable side panels. I actually think this design will make securing my gear a little easier over other styles of carts due to its cage-like structure.

Thank you for taking the time to respond!