Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2021, 06:25 PM

Default Thoughts on this M1A1?

Certainly a real stock but the lack of any markings leads me to believe it’s been sanded or possibly a replacement stock? Where is the bayonet lug if it was arsenal refinished as the letter states? No wear on the action or slide, and not a ding or dent in the wood. Thoughts?

I feel bad for whoever buys it at that price.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/891007244

Last edited by Hesalite; 02-09-2021 at 07:29 PM.
Old 02-09-2021, 06:42 PM

Looks like there is a very light CC on the bottom of the hand grip to me.
Old 02-10-2021, 10:21 PM

Default M1a1

The stock is an original M1A1 stock, unsanded wood. The wood is probably an unissued spare while the stock metal shows patina. I don't think the wood is original to the rest of the stock. The gun looks like a home put together. U marked front sight with the site pin not centered or staked, parked bolt, late safety. The Serial number may be wrong for an M1A1. I have an original Inland with a 5-43 barrel but my gun's sn is 351xxx so something not quite right there.
Old 02-10-2021, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubb2 View Post
The stock is an original M1A1 stock, unsanded wood. The wood is probably an unissued spare while the stock metal shows patina. I don't think the wood is original to the rest of the stock. The gun looks like a home put together. U marked front sight with the site pin not centered or staked, parked bolt, late safety. The Serial number may be wrong for an M1A1. I have an original Inland with a 5-43 barrel but my gun's sn is 351xxx so something not quite right there.
My thoughts exactly!
Old 02-11-2021, 11:27 AM

The buttplate does not look to be real. Pic 32 of 33, I don't see the drawing number.
Old 02-11-2021, 02:22 PM

Default M1a1

I think the butt plate is real. I can barley see the circle with the X in it. Some of the castings had hardly visible numbers. But your point is well taken. If I were bidding on this I would request better pictures of the number. I think on ebay right now there are what are being sold as NOS M1A1 butt plates. The numbers look too clear to me. I think those are fakes.
Old 02-11-2021, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubb2 View Post
I think the butt plate is real. I can barley see the circle with the X in it. Some of the castings had hardly visible numbers. But your point is well taken. If I were bidding on this I would request better pictures of the number. I think on ebay right now there are what are being sold as NOS M1A1 butt plates. The numbers look too clear to me. I think those are fakes.
If you’re talking about the ones still “packed in cosmoline”, you’re right. They’re fakes and the seller is intentionally making them look like they’ve been stored for years. Shady business
Old 04-28-2021, 07:10 AM

I think the metal is all correct. The stock unit appears to be a NOS legit replacement unit which would not have the "P" and might be one of the Springfield Armory such units which merely had a SA on bottom of pistol grip.

Cantons book speaks to these SA replacement stock units. I have two in my collection, one I took out of the "bag" in 1964 and one I found in 90 percent condition during SE Asian War Games.

If you are a collector of original WWII M1A1, this is not a carbine that will measure up. If you want a M1A1 of legitimate US GI parts , it meets the mark. Like so many rifles from WWII, few can be found that are original as left the factory.

I find the price to be obscene and if anyone paid that, I hope they are satisfied , I sure would not be. If the object is throwing enough money to win is the game, Congratulations.

I won't apologize for always saying the obvious :

a. The best course of action for carbine collectors or buyers is just a plain jane Inland in standard wood stock. Your chances of being skunked is NiL.

b. If you simply must chase the rainbows of M1A1 carbines, a minefield indeed, the safest bet is a August Arsenal Rework marked stock unit with any mfg Carbine in it...which is totally correct for a post WWII arsenal rebuilt M1a1 carbine. No one in Garand collecting is bothered about post war rebuilds, LONG OVER DUE for same to be the norm in M1A1 carbine collecting.

Fakery has long been out of control with M1A1 carbines and any US GI "sniper rifles".
Old 04-28-2021, 07:26 AM

I don't know. RTI Carbines are a good example of overpriced rebuilds. A lot of guys were buying ridiculously priced stuff, and then posting asking what they bought.
I watched a rebuild QHMC on auction yesterday that went for $1800, I believe it was. Some people get skunked.
Old 04-28-2021, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milprileb View Post
I think the metal is all correct. The stock unit appears to be a NOS legit replacement unit which would not have the "P" and might be one of the Springfield Armory such units which merely had a SA on bottom of pistol grip.

Cantons book speaks to these SA replacement stock units. I have two in my collection, one I took out of the "bag" in 1964 and one I found in 90 percent condition during SE Asian War Games.

If you are a collector of original WWII M1A1, this is not a carbine that will measure up. If you want a M1A1 of legitimate US GI parts , it meets the mark. Like so many rifles from WWII, few can be found that are original as left the factory.

I find the price to be obscene and if anyone paid that, I hope they are satisfied , I sure would not be. If the object is throwing enough money to win is the game, Congratulations.

I won't apologize for always saying the obvious :

a. The best course of action for carbine collectors or buyers is just a plain jane Inland in standard wood stock. Your chances of being skunked is NiL.

b. If you simply must chase the rainbows of M1A1 carbines, a minefield indeed, the safest bet is a August Arsenal Rework marked stock unit with any mfg Carbine in it...which is totally correct for a post WWII arsenal rebuilt M1a1 carbine. No one in Garand collecting is bothered about post war rebuilds, LONG OVER DUE for same to be the norm in M1A1 carbine collecting.

Fakery has long been out of control with M1A1 carbines and any US GI "sniper rifles".
After months of research, I decided the best route for me was an Arsenal rebuild, in my case a RIA rebuild. I saw many “correct” M1A1’s during my search. The real ones always had something wrong (cracked stock/cheek pad falling apart). The others were questionable and most likely drop in/homemade M1A1’s in original stocks.

Here is the one I settled on: https://imgur.com/gallery/A7uBw9s