Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 05-15-2021, 09:57 AM
Firstflabn Firstflabn is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: FL
Posts: 816
Default

* COMMENT REMOVED BY STAFF *
Disagreements/corrections can and should be civil...making it personal can result in a suspension
.

Last edited by Big_Red; 05-15-2021 at 07:00 PM. Reason: Completely unnecessary
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-15-2021, 03:05 PM
Roadkingtrax Roadkingtrax is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Arizona
Posts: 8,617
Default

Don, you could try to be a little more polite.

You obviously have some knowledge on the subject, but know very little on how to convey it.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-15-2021, 05:34 PM
pickax pickax is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Daytona Beach Fla.
Posts: 1,276
Default

Agree with RKT, this has been going on across the boards.
Your knowledge could be a "teaching moment" instead of a "smack down".
Much more effective, and spreads real knowledge.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-15-2021, 06:16 PM
Rick the Librarian Rick the Librarian is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: NW Washington State
Posts: 7,472
Default

The 23rd of the 2nd came ashore the day after D-Day. I'm wondering if the unit pictured was a support unit. Artillery, Engineers and other none-infantry units carried M1903s.
__________________
"We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
--C.S. Lewis
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-15-2021, 08:14 PM
2761377 2761377 is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: the V ring
Posts: 391
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick the Librarian View Post
The 23rd of the 2nd came ashore the day after D-Day. I'm wondering if the unit pictured was a support unit. Artillery, Engineers and other none-infantry units carried M1903s.
the U.S. Army 23rd Infantry Regiment was the exception that proves the rule.

the entire regiment was equipped with M1903 rifles at the insistence of it's commander, Colonel Hurley Fuller. when this regiment stalled in the bocage country, Fuller was relieved by his corps commander.

subsequently, the 23rd became a dependable regiment. with Garands.
__________________
ID is not my rifle's s/n
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-15-2021, 08:50 PM
Firstflabn Firstflabn is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: FL
Posts: 816
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick the Librarian View Post
The 23rd of the 2nd came ashore the day after D-Day.
Evidence please.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-15-2021, 09:40 PM
Whitpusmc Whitpusmc is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 935
Default

http://lonesentry.com/unithistory/23...try/index.html

Unit History published in the ETO said June 8th, 1944 so technically D+2 but pretty close.

“On 16 April, 1944, the Regiment sailed to South Wales, where final preparations for the invasion were completed, including moving to staging areas at various British Channel ports.

On 8 June, 1944, the Twenty Third Infantry landed on Omaha Beach with the first invasion forces.”


Quote:
Originally Posted by Firstflabn View Post
Evidence please.
__________________
Whitney
3rd degree firearms enthusiast

My feedback thread
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-15-2021, 09:43 PM
2761377 2761377 is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: the V ring
Posts: 391
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firstflabn View Post
Evidence please.
"After the United States entered the war in 1941, the 2nd Infantry Division (nicknamed “Indianhead”, head of Indian, because of its insignia) leaves the port of New York towards Belfast on October 8, 1943 And arrived in Northern Ireland nine days later. She then arrives in England where she begins her training to fight the Germans in Europe.

Attached to the 1st American Army, she landed in Normandy on June 7, 1944 in Saint-Laurent-sur-Mer on the beach of Omaha and immediately began the fighting...."

https://www.dday-overlord.com/en/bat...antry-division
__________________
ID is not my rifle's s/n
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-16-2021, 12:31 AM
Firstflabn Firstflabn is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: FL
Posts: 816
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitpusmc
http://lonesentry.com/unithistory/23...try/index.html

Unit History published in the ETO said June 8th, 1944 so technically D+2 but pretty close.

“On 16 April, 1944, the Regiment sailed to South Wales, where final preparations for the invasion were completed, including moving to staging areas at various British Channel ports.

On 8 June, 1944, the Twenty Third Infantry landed on Omaha Beach with the first invasion forces.”


So, pretty tough for a regiment that was officially reported as landing on June 8 to find itself on the beach in a photo dated June 7, wouldn't you say (technically, of course)? The International Dateline is almost 180 degrees of longitude away, so I don't think that could explain it.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05-16-2021, 06:22 AM
RHScott RHScott is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: NC
Posts: 359
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firstflabn View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitpusmc
http://lonesentry.com/unithistory/23...try/index.html

Unit History published in the ETO said June 8th, 1944 so technically D+2 but pretty close.

“On 16 April, 1944, the Regiment sailed to South Wales, where final preparations for the invasion were completed, including moving to staging areas at various British Channel ports.

On 8 June, 1944, the Twenty Third Infantry landed on Omaha Beach with the first invasion forces.”


So, pretty tough for a regiment that was officially reported as landing on June 8 to find itself on the beach in a photo dated June 7, wouldn't you say (technically, of course)? The International Dateline is almost 180 degrees of longitude away, so I don't think that could explain it.

Is there some unknown reason you are acting like a complete ************** on the forum? So far you have provided ZERO useful info, just sharpshooting and BS comments.
__________________
You don't need to be perfect, just better than your competition.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:31 PM.