Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2021, 01:17 PM

Default DCM/NRA Remington 1903A3

Hello: I am trying to learn about the DCM or NRA program from the early 1960's that sold Remington 1903A3 rifles. I saw the following:
1. Remington 1903A3 with a barrel marked RA/12-43. It is covered in what appears to be cosmoline or similar grease.
2. Shipping box with a label that says it came from the National Rifle Association of America in Washington, D.C. and then went to "Pueblo Ord. Depot, Pueblo, Colo." then to an individual person.
3. Shipping box is stamped "SER NO NRA" followed by hand written serial number of the rifle. And hand written "1903 DCM"
4. No papers or documents with the rifle.

Were the rifles shipped covered in cosmoline or would that have been put on by the owner?

What paperwork, if any, would have shipped with the rifle? I know about the paperwork that currently ships with CMP sold rifles.

Any feedback on what the program was back then to sell these rifles would be appreciated. How did the DCM and the NRA interact back then to sell rifles?

Thank you!
Old 06-10-2021, 01:27 PM

I forgot to ask...was it possible that the 1903A3 rifles shipped in this program were arsenal rebuilds? With all the cosmoline on the rifle that I looked at, I cannot tell and did not have the opportunity to field strip.
Thanks.
Old 06-10-2021, 01:47 PM

Rifles were shipped as received from the army. Chances are yours was protected with grease before storing. However, it may have been applied anytime by anyone in the past 75 years.
Feedback on the DCM program: It was great! Seriously, it was similar to CMP; you had to me an NRA member at that time to enjoy the DCM benefits like the 1903.
2nd post:
The shipments in 1960s of 1903s included rifles in all conditions. Correct, rebuilds, whatever. They had been retired from service and thus sent to DCM. Yours may be a rebuild, a mixmaster, an ugly stepchild, an excellent condition service grade, or an untouched original.
Paperwork included was pretty much an invoice document, search this forum and you will probably find some.

No more help without pictures......
JH

Zvenoman's Feedback Thread
Old 06-10-2021, 02:18 PM

I rec'd a Winchester thru the DCM. Paperwork was filed to that entity but I rec'd the carbine from the Red River Arsenal. That was the box it was in, nothing noting DCM on the box or paperwork. I have the paper somewhere and will try to find it. Would have been 1963-1964 I think. Very nice rifle that I still have. It did NOT get shipped to me by the DCM. Ammunition was $12/600 rds.
*Also bought 1903's at Great Lakes Naval Center for $5.00 and they were stacked like cordwood. "Service Grade" with scuffed butt-plates from recruit drill.
Old 06-10-2021, 02:18 PM

I have a Remington 03/A3 that shipped from Rariton Arsenal, Mutuchin ,New Jersey in 1958. Have rat chewed box. Listed as unserviceable. I got rifle 10 years ago in very good condition. Great bore. Stock has one area of old plastic wood, part fell out. Shoots great.
One of my favorite Bolt action rifle's.
Old 06-10-2021, 02:28 PM

Thanks for the replies. Here is a link to pictures of the rifle, the box, and the box label. The amount of cosmoline on the rifle make it difficult to see anything. I presume that removing the cosmoline is a bit of a task.
https://imgur.com/a/6tSWLrC
Old 06-10-2021, 04:07 PM

One of the largest reasons so many 03A3's are rebuilds is because after WWII they were not stored properly and they either rusted or the stock was covered in mildew.

About four or five years after they were first stored after WW2 they started to open up boxes for inspection. They found many rifles were packed with no protection at all at the end of WW2. So an order came down to open up all boxes in storage at each location and if they needed rebuilt because of improper storage to become serviceable it was to be done.

They then were ordered to be properly stored this time with a laundry list of precautions, one of which was cosmoline.

Now when Remington shipped them from the factory they were shipped in a thinner protective coating something like hydraulic fluid viscosity.

Cosmoline was done when they went into long term storage by Armories but some people confuse cosmoline to mean itwas shipped from the factory like that. This isn't true.

There were different methods of protection depending on how long they planned on them being in storage. From light coats of oil for a few months to heavy coats of cosmoline or special bags to store them in for long term storage