Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2021, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason60chev View Post
I cannot shoot a group like that....even with a scope. I no longer really try. My job, overseas, keeps me so out of practice, I figure if i can keep it in the 8 ring at 200 yrds, I'll be adequate. Haven't fired a match in 11 years.
My M1903A1 NM was sold to a gentleman in Omaha, Neb.I bought it from a shop near Salt Lake City, via Gun Broker in 2009. I conacted SRS for a serial number search and it got the hit. I didn;t tell the seller that. When I asked them how they acquired the rifle, all they told me was that a man came in, saying that he didn;t want it. Did a little genealogy research and found that one of the orignal purchasers sons had located to a town near SLC. It may have been him, who sold it. My receiver has been drilled/taped for a lYman receiver sight, but still has the plugs. Sight never mounted. Rifle looks pristine, like it was rarely used. The Piece de' Resistance of my 1903 Springfield collection.

https://imgur.com/a/oz3zKbp
Beautiful rifle!

Under 'normal' conditions I would usually work overseas once or more a month. My eyes are toast for ~3 days when I get back. You can suck it up and deal with the jet lag, but you can't fool your eyes into working properly. If I return on a Saturday from Asia or Europe and have a match on a Sunday- my scores are never great and I just go to enjoy the match and the people. Didn't have that problem this year and seems like my scores and number of gold trinkets were higher.
Old 03-31-2021, 02:42 AM

I thought about trying to make Perry, this year, but may only have three weeks available and the actual dates are subject to other factors. With travel time, from Tampa, Fl plus 11-12 days (If I'm going, I'm going!) of shooting, I'd have to arrange the match in the middle prtion of my time. I also have other things I need to do, so the matches would consume my entire time. Maybe next year.

I am an adequate marksman, but I know I am not competitive, so all I casn do is to do the best that I can. Logistically, the matches are a PITA, but I enjoy the Vintage matches and commaraderie, meeting new people and seeing old friends....just having fun, with a few flyers thrown in. AT the Garand match, in 2010, I fired the best rapid fire string I've ever had....93 - 1X, using a CMP purchased Springfield 12/54 M1. My 1903 rapid was pretty good, as far as grouping, but had a little too much left wind; just missed bronze medal. I love the 1903. I have 17 of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
Beautiful rifle!

Under 'normal' conditions I would usually work overseas once or more a month. My eyes are toast for ~3 days when I get back. You can suck it up and deal with the jet lag, but you can't fool your eyes into working properly. If I return on a Saturday from Asia or Europe and have a match on a Sunday- my scores are never great and I just go to enjoy the match and the people. Didn't have that problem this year and seems like my scores and number of gold trinkets were higher.
Old 04-07-2021, 06:54 AM

I'm from Omaha. Always interested in connections to my home town.

Jason, the original owner of your beautiful 1903:

Charles L. Collins died June 17th 1975 at age 84.

Couldn't find anything more about him, wonder how well he did/if he did well at Camp Perry with that rifle.

All the best.

John

PS: I am so intrigued by this, I sent CMP an email, wondering if they can find this gentleman's scores from the matches that year.

Last edited by mnhusker; 04-07-2021 at 07:04 AM.
Old 04-07-2021, 07:10 AM

I searched him through Ancestry.com and found that he had a couple of sons, one who relocated to a town near Salt lake City, from where I bought the rifle. I asked the sellers about how they got the rifle and they just said a man brought it in who didn't want it. I did not press for a name. Could have been that son. I did not do any searching to see if Mr. Collins fired at camp Perry. Would be a hoot to find if he did and even a bigger hoot to find a record/score card with this rifle's serial.

I did find this: https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/...rles-l-collins

Thanks for the message.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnhusker View Post
I'm from Omaha. Always interested in connections to my home town.

Jason, the original owner of your beautiful 1903:

Charles L. Collins died June 17th 1975 at age 84.

Couldn't find anything more about him, wonder how well he did/if he did well at Camp Perry with that rifle.

All the best.

John

PS: I am so intrigued by this, I sent CMP an email, wondering if they can find this gentleman's scores from the matches that year.

Last edited by jason60chev; 04-07-2021 at 07:22 AM.
Old 04-07-2021, 08:03 AM

Yes, that's what I found too.

Tried to find an obituary in the Omaha World Herald but their site is very poor for searching.

If email inquiry is without fruit, I will try in person when I am at Perry, they may have material I can go through my self.

If I find anything (score card with rifle serial number would be outstanding) I will of course share with you.

All the best.

john
Old 04-07-2021, 11:18 AM

I found that Mr. Collins died in Miami, Florida. He had relocated there, at some point. Unknown why he was taken back to Omaha.

Three sons....George Thomas 1925-1996 in Omaha; and Charles Maurice 1923-2006; Robert Rice 1927-2013. Robert may be the one who sold it to the shop, in 2009, from whom I purchased.....But he died in Brevard County, Florida. Or maybe a grandson?

Anyway......pretty remote to try to contact any descendants. They probably wouldn't know anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnhusker View Post
Yes, that's what I found too.

Tried to find an obituary in the Omaha World Herald but their site is very poor for searching.

If email inquiry is without fruit, I will try in person when I am at Perry, they may have material I can go through my self.

If I find anything (score card with rifle serial number would be outstanding) I will of course share with you.

All the best.

john
Old 04-08-2021, 10:03 AM

Couple more notes on Mr. Collins -

1. By 1940 he was living in Florida, having left Omaha after 1935
2. Registered for WWI Draft June 5th 1917 in Omaha
Old 04-08-2021, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMKS View Post
Couple more notes on Mr. Collins -

1. By 1940 he was living in Florida, having left Omaha after 1935
2. Registered for WWI Draft June 5th 1917 in Omaha
That is so cool!

Great find.

My CMP enquiry came up negative, will try for more when I am at Perry.

John
Old 04-11-2021, 07:52 AM

Great thread drift- good stuff.

Given that my National Match was sold to the Connecticut Adjutant General, I was assuming the CT State Guard had a rifle team back in the day. Confirmed, here's a pic of a Camp Perry Medal:

https://thumbs.worthpoint.com/zoom/i...2dca848037.jpg
Old 04-11-2021, 08:22 AM

Back on topic for a moment-

The trigger on the 03A3 was a little on the heavy side, so I swapped in a slightly lighter main spring and cleaned up contact surfaces with a hard Arkansas stone. A little below 4.5 lbs pull but a little more work to do- need a better fitting trigger pin and could drop the pull a little more. Bore cleaned up like a mirror with moderate effort. Proper torque to the action screws, and off to the range:

https://i.imgur.com/I4BJb8n.jpg

SR-1 at 100 yards, off the bench. 2 shots to the left still sighting in. Last 5 shots all 10's with 3 X's. I just grabbed some 155's that I shoot in my match Garand but will normally shoot 168's in a '03. I picked this one to be a shooter and appears I did OK.