Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Accessories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2021, 12:24 PM

Default Verdigris On Leather

I like to remove the verdigris on my leather items with Brasso followed by a leather conditioner. Recently I obtained some items that had huge chunks of the stuff that required a dental pick to scrape off. Will verdigris damage leather if it doesn't get cleaned off?
Old 12-10-2021, 03:01 PM

I appears to weaken and damage the leather, but it will certainly eat the brass! The biggest problem is the stuff you can't bet to around the shank of rivets.
Old 12-10-2021, 04:49 PM

I find a slurry of baking soda with a bit of water applied with a Q tip will get the remnants of verdigris without damage to the leather. Go light with each application, so no boiling and bubbling reaction.
Seems to me the verdigris is a reaction of leather tanning salts and acid with the brass or steel rivets over time.
This slurry also works wonders in a heavier baking soda mix on battery terminals in a vehicle.
Now if someone could tell us of a good magic mold remover from the leather. so far I'm using dish detergent with water lightly overnight, and drying thoroughly with clean absorbent cotton sock before lanolin treatment. Mold stain is still visible, but stabilized and blended better after treatment.
I know Jerry Burney uses mild oven heat to kill mold, but I can't get my old oven that low.
Old 12-10-2021, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickax View Post
I find a slurry of baking soda with a bit of water applied with a Q tip will get the remnants of verdigris without damage to the leather.
Thank you. I'll have to try that next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickax View Post
Now if someone could tell us of a good magic mold remover from the leather.
I still haven't found a mold removal technique that works well for me.
Old 12-15-2021, 12:53 PM

On the mold issue I used to use, with some success, a product known as MILTROL. I applied it very lightly and it seemed to do the job well. I understand that MILTROL has undergone an update of sorts and is now known as MOLD ARMOR. It comes in a spray bottle and is available at Wal-Mart. I have not yet used MOLD ARMOR as I still have a bit of the old MILTROL around.

You might want to look into MOLD ARMOR. As with anything used on collectibles it would be wise to first test it out on a small, inconspicuous area to see if any adverse effects are noticeable.

Regards,
Charlie
Old 12-15-2021, 01:53 PM

As a long time collector of USGI leather items my perennial nemesis has always been verdigris. Indeed, one might say that it has haunted me.

Thus, imagine my surprise one day when I was traveling through Oklahoma and found myself entering the town of Verdigris. It was a Twilight Zone moment.

Old 12-15-2021, 03:05 PM

Mold armor is outstanding for removing black mold from your roof....50/50 mix with water and a couple oz of dawn to hold the solution in suspension...Rinse thoughtly with a garden hose....for the leather, try Walmart's cleaning vinegar...and a q-tip....as always...have fun....regards...alex
Old 12-15-2021, 03:40 PM

Thanks for the tips Charlie and Alex. Will experiment a bit.
Old 12-15-2021, 05:48 PM

I just tried the baking soda and water tip and it worked really well. Thank you.
Old 12-25-2021, 09:21 AM

I think most white on leather is misidentified as mold when it really is just fatty spue. Personally I have many dated holsters and I use preservation grade products on them. No commercial cleaners and oils. Treat red rot and cracks with klucel g.

Vergiris is copper carbonate hydroxide, the only way to prevent it is elimination of the atmosphere to the surface of the metal. Humidity aggravates it. I'm pretty sure after forming it provides a natural protection to further corrosion. I have no connection with or take no $$ benefit from Preservation Solutions, but I use their products on all of my leather for everything dating back to civil war stuff. https://www.preservation-solutions.com/

Jeremy