Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > Garand, Springfield, Military Rifle and Rimfire Matches
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2021, 09:12 PM

Default Swedish Gevar 6/Carl Gustaf 63 Classification?

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has had any experience shooting the Gevar 6/CG 63 in competition and what it would be classified as. These were rifles built by the Carl Gustaf factory/arsenal for use by the military and civilians in their version of CMP competitions. These rifles came standard issue with diopter rear and globe front sights.

According to rule 4.2.5e:

"Sights must be of the same types that were on rifles issued to regular
military personnel. Special purpose sights designed for sniping, target
practice or competition are not permitted;"

Rule 4.2.1g

"Sights must be of the same types that were on rifles issued to regular
military personnel, except that the internal diameter of rear apertures may
be modified. Adjustable apertures, interchangeable inserts and lens
inserts of any type are prohibited. Special purpose sights designed for
sniping or competition are not permitted"

This would move the rifle out of the as-issued foreign military category despite them coming as-issued with those particular style of sights.

I was wondering if anyone had experience with this particular foreign military rifle or similar rifles such as those from Switzerland which were commonly given diopter sights by the Swiss military arsenals. It feels like kind of a weird predicament because if I were to remove the original, as-issued sights, I would also be breaking the rule about the sights being the same type that were standard issue (There are no original Gevar 6's/CG-63s without this style of sights). If I keep the original sights, then it would also violate the second rule because the front sight does have the ability to swap out inserts.

If anyone has any sort of remedy to this issue, I would greatly appreciate it. I've seen inserts for the front sight that look like a standard vertical front sight post, perhaps this would bring it within the rules? It would be a real shame if this vintage military rifle in its as-issued in configuration would have to compete in the open/unlimited category.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by jareds06; 10-29-2021 at 09:17 PM.
Old 10-29-2021, 10:11 PM

Quote:
4.1.1 Intent and Spirit
As-Issued military rifles are rifles that were or could have been carried by
military personnel in combat operations.
Does the Gevar 6/CG 63 meet that qualification? Were these rifles ever issued to ordinary Swedish infantry?
Old 10-29-2021, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKC_Jim View Post
Does the Gevar 6/CG 63 meet that qualification? Were these rifles ever issued to ordinary Swedish infantry?
Nope! Nor used in combat. Thanks for pointing to that rule, I must have scrolled past it.
Old 10-30-2021, 12:32 AM

It is a nice looking rifle. I seem to remember seeing reports of guys shooting matches with old bull barreled match rifles. It seems like it would fit right in there. Unfortunately I can't remember what the matches were called. Hopefully someone will come along and point you to them.
Old 10-30-2021, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKC_Jim View Post
It is a nice looking rifle. I seem to remember seeing reports of guys shooting matches with old bull barreled match rifles. It seems like it would fit right in there. Unfortunately I can't remember what the matches were called. Hopefully someone will come along and point you to them.
Thanks a lot Jim, and I hope you had as good a time as I did at the OKC games last week. That was my first ever CMP match experience so I'm still trying to figure a lot of this stuff out!
Old 10-30-2021, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jareds06 View Post
Thanks a lot Jim, and I hope you had as good a time as I did at the OKC games last week. That was my first ever CMP match experience so I'm still trying to figure a lot of this stuff out!
Even though this year felt different, I had a good time. Hopefully life will get back to normal one of these days and it'll feel like it did.
Old 10-30-2021, 08:02 AM

There is no open/unlimited version of the CMP Vintage Bolt Match--only Modern Military and Garand offer an unlimited category. Swedish 6.5mm has to be as issued. It would have been possible to shoot the Swedish match rifle in NRA Highpower as a "match" rifle. Good Shooting....
Old 10-30-2021, 09:11 AM

Default Swedish Gevar 6/Carl Gustaf 63 Classification?

These rifles would definitely have an unfair advantage in vintage. Iíve shot them for fun in local matches and hung right in there with the scoped ARs.

Last edited by Stewbaby; 10-30-2021 at 09:14 AM.