Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2021, 09:09 PM

Default M1 Paratrooper Carbine Advice Wanted!

My local gunshop is helping a couple of older gentlemen to sell off their collections of military firearms. These gentlemen bring several guns to the shop at a time and replace the guns every couple of weeks as the others are sold. I have seen several of their guns and it seems they have some real high-end guns in their collections.

I was in the shop two weeks ago to pick up my CMP 1911. The shop owner told me that one of the collectors would be bringing in what he described as an original M1 Paratrooper Carbine to sell. My son-in-law was in the shop today to pick up his CMP 1911 and he said that they now had the Paratrooper carbine on the rack. He and I are thinking about pooling our funds so that one of us can buy it.

I know that there are many "fake" Paratrooper carbines out there. Problem is, I don't know enough about M1 Paratrooper Carbines to tell a fake one from a real one. The only info my S-I-L came back with was that the manufacturer was Inland and he felt that the stock looked "new" for the gun.

I'm asking the experts here if there is a book that we should get to would help us with our research of the M1 Carbine and in particular, the Paratrooper Model? Also, what are some good tips you would have on what we should look for on a "real" Paratrooper Carbine and any tell-tale signs that we should look for that would help us spot a fake?

Looking forward to your responses and thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited by Bravo47; 06-11-2021 at 09:12 PM.
Old 06-11-2021, 09:22 PM

Seriously recommend you go to the shop and take detailed photos of that M1A1 and then post photos here , then you will get sage advice from those who know what to look for.

Don't let M1A1 fever get you....go slow and be thorough. If it sells before you can validate it with advice from folks here on this board, then you missed out on being Skunked.
Old 06-11-2021, 09:29 PM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

Out of curiosity, what are the asking? If you don't mind?
Old 06-11-2021, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milprileb View Post
Seriously recommend you go to the shop and take detailed photos of that M1A1 and then post photos here , then you will get sage advice from those who know what to look for.

Don't let M1A1 fever get you....go slow and be thorough. If it sells before you can validate it with advice from folks here on this board, then you missed out on being Skunked.
Good advice. I'll try to stop by the shop this weekend. Other than the receiver stamping and obvious markings, what other pictures would be the most helpful (i.e. what areas of the gun should I take closer pictures of that might help verify authenticity)? I don't know if he will let me break it down beyond field stripping, so I'm guessing some of the small parts could be difficult to assess.
Old 06-11-2021, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shomway View Post
out of curiosity, what are the asking? If you don't mind?
$3400.
Old 06-12-2021, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo47 View Post
Good advice. I'll try to stop by the shop this weekend. Other than the receiver stamping and obvious markings, what other pictures would be the most helpful (i.e. what areas of the gun should I take closer pictures of that might help verify authenticity)? I don't know if he will let me break it down beyond field stripping, so I'm guessing some of the small parts could be difficult to assess.

Photos of the rivets and the inside of the butt stock. Any other markings you can see.
Old 06-12-2021, 10:04 PM

Went back to the gunshop today and took a bunch of pictures of the Paratrooper Carbine. The shop owner was not there today and the clerk wouldn't let me take the gun apart to look for marks beyond what were visible on the outside. Looking forward to hearing what you guys think.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ujmjwb5q2...NFtCn0RSa?dl=0

Last edited by Bravo47; 06-12-2021 at 10:07 PM.
Old 06-12-2021, 10:30 PM

This video is a good place to start
https://youtu.be/Dx-8QgkbIiU

If they won't let you remove the action from the stock to inspect it then I would walk away.

Last edited by TexHill; 06-12-2021 at 10:37 PM.
Old 06-13-2021, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo47 View Post
Went back to the gunshop today and took a bunch of pictures of the Paratrooper Carbine. The shop owner was not there today and the clerk wouldn't let me take the gun apart to look for marks beyond what were visible on the outside. Looking forward to hearing what you guys think.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ujmjwb5q2...NFtCn0RSa?dl=0

The first thing thatís clear is that the stock and handguard arenít married to each other.

Other than that it looks good for a 2nd run M1A1. Iím far from an expert, but I did a fair bit of research prior to acquiring one a couple months ago.
Old 06-13-2021, 06:40 AM

Default Forend Crack

I guess you won't be able to tell if the forend crack shown in photos 54 & 59 goes all the way through if they won't let you remove the action.