Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP 1911
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2021, 12:56 AM

Default Some functionality issues with my rack grade

Hi All,

Today I took my Rack Grade to the range for the first time, and while it was a blast to shoot I ran into a few problems. Occasionally I had a round that had issues going into battery. It mostly chambered, but I needed to remove the magazine and engage the slide before it was fully chambered. In addition, multiple times when I fired my last round the slide stop did not function. With an empty magazine, the slide still moved forward as if there was another round to chamber. When I got the 1911 I went through coolgunsite's function check and passed all their checks. Is this an issue with my magazine or do I need to ask the CMP armorers to take a peek at the gun?

Thank you,
LS
Old 06-13-2021, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Spector View Post
Hi All,

Today I took my Rack Grade to the range for the first time, and while it was a blast to shoot I ran into a few problems. Occasionally I had a round that had issues going into battery. It mostly chambered, but I needed to remove the magazine and engage the slide before it was fully chambered. In addition, multiple times when I fired my last round the slide stop did not function. With an empty magazine, the slide still moved forward as if there was another round to chamber. When I got the 1911 I went through coolgunsite's function check and passed all their checks. Is this an issue with my magazine or do I need to ask the CMP armorers to take a peek at the gun?

Thank you,
LS
It could be that all of your problems may be related to your magazine. If have hear that some the Mecgar Magazines have issues. I've seen complaints about them having extra strong springs. This can prevent rounds from fully chambering due to excessive friction at the magazine lips because of spring tension. I also saw an unboxing video where the slide never stopped on the last round with a Mecgar Magazine. The man switched magazine and the problem went away.

At 4:10 he used the Mecgar Magazine. He complained about them being "stiff and hard to load" indicating a strong spring. And at 4:50, the slide does not lock back. At 8:27 he zooms in on the Mecgar marking on the magazine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zr0Rst8vHWM&t=253s

I'd first try another magazine you know will work and see if it fixes your problem.
Old 06-13-2021, 09:24 AM

Did you remove the slide and lubricate the gun? If not, I would try that first.

Like FB said, did you try a different mag?

How about different ammo?

Try these first and see what happens. If you still have issues, contact the cmp and send it back for repair.
Old 06-13-2021, 11:58 AM

What ammo are you using, GI Ball spec is what they were designed to run on.

VFW Patriots Circle Member
NRA Life Member
PMRPC - CMP/GSM Rifle Match Chairman
GSM Master Instructor
Old 06-15-2021, 04:53 AM

I would do as the others have suggested. First thing is to be sure the pistol is well lubed. Try different types of ammo and take several mags to the range. I love the old mags for show and tell but Wilson Combat mags work well for me for reliability. Let us know how ya come out !!!
Old 06-15-2021, 01:27 PM

Very likely the Magazine follower spring.
Old 06-28-2021, 01:47 PM

All .45acp Ammo is not created equal and can cause problems. Also recently did a 1911 malfunctions trouble shoot for a fellow club member and determined the only problem to be shooter error / limp wristing.
Old 06-28-2021, 10:37 PM

As said above - I go to the range with 2-5 mags and when I was in the army, if a new mag gave me issues, we messed with it for a few minutes and threw it away if it caused problems (many checkpoint mags, most are great).
As an MP I carried and still have, Wilson mags

Lube it and try a couple mags
Old 06-29-2021, 12:18 AM

I haven't had a chance to go to the range a second time, the 1911 is still burning a hole in my pocket. For the same reason, I'm stuck with my mecgar mag for the time being. For what it's worth, I was also unable to press down on the slide stop on an empty mag. Breaking in the spring with a dowel seems to have fixed that at least, it's stiff but works.

The ammo I was using was Federal 230 Grain.
Old 06-29-2021, 12:56 PM

You mention lubricating it, but did you completely strip and clean the pistol?