Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Accessories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2021, 01:14 PM

Default slings and hooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1Rifleman View Post
I just got a Ron Brown sling from Creedmoor for my new M1. Extremely pleased with the craftsmanship. I’m used to shooting with the web sling on my M1A, so this is new, slightly more complicated territory. Seems to be a lot of conflicting info on the YouTube videos I’ve watched on how to attach it properly. Why do a lot of guys put the frogs on the inside? Weren’t they designed to be on the outside, as to not mar the rifle (or the rifleman’s shoulder when using as a carry strap)?
There are several different ways to rig M1907's, the "infantry carry" rig being standard. No idea whether this was planned or just happened, albeit I do note B.A.R. men in particular often had their three-hook units set up with the sharp edges of the hooks away from their arms. Another detail many folks miss: Most of those used in the field by infantry were radiused/edge softened--that is, the sharp edges of the "hooks" or "frogs" were rounded or smoothed. MILSCO seems to have done that at the factory, or at least they were pretty uniform. Reason: left sharp, they cut.

My uncle, who was with 101st airborne, rigged his BACKWARDS and had snap pads to go over the hooks made for him in England.

Last edited by jimthompson502002; 03-07-2021 at 01:21 PM.
Old 03-07-2021, 02:33 PM

Quote:
I just got a Ron Brown sling from Creedmoor for my new M1. Extremely pleased with the craftsmanship. Iím used to shooting with the web sling on my M1A, so this is new, slightly more complicated territory. Seems to be a lot of conflicting info on the YouTube videos Iíve watched on how to attach it properly. Why do a lot of guys put the frogs on the inside? Werenít they designed to be on the outside, as to not mar the rifle (or the riflemanís shoulder when using as a carry strap)?
As far as the 1907 frogs. I had mine on the inside but the sling keepers cover the frogs and lock them in place on the sling. So the keepers cover up the points protecting the rifle and the rifleman's shoulder in this configuration.
Old 03-07-2021, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimthompson502002 View Post
There are several different ways to rig M1907's, the "infantry carry" rig being standard. No idea whether this was planned or just happened, albeit I do note B.A.R. men in particular often had their three-hook units set up with the sharp edges of the hooks away from their arms. Another detail many folks miss: Most of those used in the field by infantry were radiused/edge softened--that is, the sharp edges of the "hooks" or "frogs" were rounded or smoothed. MILSCO seems to have done that at the factory, or at least they were pretty uniform. Reason: left sharp, they cut.

My uncle, who was with 101st airborne, rigged his BACKWARDS and had snap pads to go over the hooks made for him in England.
Wow. It was the 101st (through Band of Brothers) that initially got me interested in the M1 many years ago. Do you have any pics of how he rigged it? So interesting!
Old 03-07-2021, 07:35 PM

Default slings

Quote:
Wow. It was the 101st (through Band of Brothers) that initially got me interested in the M1 many years ago. Do you have any pics of how he rigged it? So interesting!
His daughter may have, but she died a couple of years ago. He showed me on one of my first M1's back in the mid-sixties.

It's simple. Just reverse everything 180 degrees. By the way, the keepers over the hook points doesn't work too well and tends to retire the keepers early. Never actually saw that in old images.

When I was doing more shooting, especially during the molycoated tests, during which I sometimes burned hundreds of rounds a day, I purchased, then had fabricated, and finally made MYSELF, long, loose keepers, intentionally to cover the sharp points of the hooks. Put as many as four on each sling. There's always some pain with research, especially dealing with whackos who won't read the literature or facts and trying to sort out their madness, but actually BLEEDING is not a welcome part of the repertoire I enjoy or encourage. One purchaser of one of my test rifles had a kind of hissy fit about that, I guess because he couldn't figure out how to remove them or erroneously imagined the extra-long, three-hook custom sling was an antique from the forties (which it wasn't, and that was spelled out in great detail LONG before he got it, and clearly shown and identified in the imagery, same as the re-marked salvage butt stock I got from Ronninger). He also sniveled that I'd had ".308" stamped with "RS" over the bogus left-hand markings, also clearly shown in the photos. Some of that, I guess, involves reading comprehension.

But that's digression.

A sling is a shooting aid, a carrying strap, and a trim or furniture item. Rig 'em in whatever manner works for you, or the way that pleases folks--it isn't the holy rites of a religion. If it becomes that, by all means, stick to the infantry norm. If it's a collector's item, fine. That's an "artifact". But if it's eighty years old, don't blame anyone else when it snaps suddenly and dumps your rifle on the cement.

Last edited by jimthompson502002; 04-14-2021 at 11:40 PM. Reason: updated detail