Go Back   CMP Forums > Welcome Center > How To's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2021, 09:39 AM

Default Wonderful Refinish M1 Garand Stock

So, I know you all may think I am crazy but I took advice from an old guy regarding refinishing of an M1 Garand Stock. This will only work on an "oiled" stock not one with a glossy finish. As I posted earlier I received a 1942 SA from CMP with a really beat up stock that I was very disappointed with. Any way I wanted to refinish the stock and did much research regarding what chemicals to use. This old gunsmith told me to buy a gallon of Acetone and pour it in a small tub. He then told me to "soak" the stock and hand guards in it for about 20 minutes, then to pull them out and let them dry... only takes about a minute. the parts that need more soaking will appear "dark" and will need another soak. I did 2 soakings and was done. I found nice rich walnut underneath all the cosmoline and oil finish. I seamed out many dents with and iron and water followed by sanding with 200 and 600 grit sandpaper. I then did 3 coats of Raw Linseed oil and mineral spirits 50/50 mix followed by a light sanding with a scotch pad. I then oiled 1 time with pure raw linseed oil. The finished product is absolutely gorgeous! The stock also picked up that light red tint and the grain is stunning. This was a weekend project only... not 2/3 weeks long. Try it...you wont be disappointed!
Old 04-12-2021, 02:27 PM

Fortress,Thank you for sharing this gem ! If you can post a photo as time allows, that would be much appreciated!

Shawn
Old 04-12-2021, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Island 542-BX View Post
Fortress,Thank you for sharing this gem ! If you can post a photo as time allows, that would be much appreciated!

Shawn
Agreed! This would be great to see.