X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chief of smoke
    • May 2012

10" bayonet AFH

I have a 10" bayonet AFH that has a SN# 5008549 on the tang. Just wondering if anybody has that Serial Number rifle. This is the 1st bayonet that I have seen the rifle Serial Number on it Stamped. Has anybody ever ran across this before.
    Thanks Joe.
  • m1ashooter
    • Oct 2009

The serial number may or may not be tied to a rifle according to Bayonet Points. My AFH doesn't have a serial number but my E-NS ones do.
    SAC Peace Is Our Profession

Comment

• krdomingue
      • Nov 2015

Originally posted by m1ashooter View Post
      The serial number may or may not be tied to a rifle according to Bayonet Points. My AFH doesn't have a serial number but my E-NS ones do.
      5008549 doesn't sound a Greek bayonet serial number. I am unfamiliar with other countries serializing their M1 bayonets.

Comment

• chief of smoke
        • May 2012

bayonet

Originally posted by krdomingue View Post
        5008549 doesn't sound a Greek bayonet serial number. I am unfamiliar with other countries serializing their M1 bayonets.
        I thought it might be a IHC Rifle, I look up the serial number NO hits. The bayonet is 10" and NOT Greek but US. I just thought it was weird that a serial number was stamped in tang of bayonet.

Comment

• edlmann
          • Oct 2009

Originally posted by chief of smoke View Post
          I thought it might be a IHC Rifle, I look up the serial number NO hits. The bayonet is 10" and NOT Greek but US. I just thought it was weird that a serial number was stamped in tang of bayonet.
          Done in Greece by the Greeks, for reasons no one seems to know. No indication that the bayonets were serial-number-matched to rifles.
          A few variations on the black-cat-in-a-dark-room analogy:
          1. Philosophy is like being in a dark room and looking for a black cat.
          2. Metaphysics is like being in a dark room and looking for a black cat that isn't there.
          3. Under Marxism, it's like being in a dark room, looking for a black cat that isn't there, and the State announces, "We found it!"

Comment

• navyrifleman
            • Oct 2009

The Greek issue M1 (10 inch) bayonets that I have seen (marked ENS/EUS on the blade) all have serial numbers stamped into the hilt.

They consist of one or two letters, followed by from two to four digits. The Greek stamped numeral one (1) is notable in that it has a flag on the top something like a "7", but clearly different when compared to an actual 7 in these serial numbers.

I do not believe that these are related in any way to rifle serial numbers, but probably were used in some sort of inventory or accounting manner.

It is likely that the Greek army received bayonets from the US along with rifles, and those would be American made examples. It is possible that the Greeks also stamped those bayonets with serial numbers.

Comment

• chief of smoke
              • May 2012

bayonet

Originally posted by navyrifleman View Post
              The Greek issue M1 (10 inch) bayonets that I have seen (marked ENS/EUS on the blade) all have serial numbers stamped into the hilt.

They consist of one or two letters, followed by from two to four digits. The Greek stamped numeral one (1) is notable in that it has a flag on the top something like a "7", but clearly different when compared to an actual 7 in these serial numbers.

I do not believe that these are related in any way to rifle serial numbers, but probably were used in some sort of inventory or accounting manner.

It is likely that the Greek army received bayonets from the US along with rifles, and those would be American made examples. It is possible that the Greeks also stamped those bayonets with serial numbers.

This is NOT marked ENS/EUS, the ONLY marking is the serial Number on tang as stated above message.

Comment

• MajDave
                • Aug 2012

The serial number stamped on the tang is the serial number of the Bayonet and is not related to a rifle serial number. Only WW2 bayonets have a serial number on them and most were cut down from a 16” blade. If the blood groove goes all the way to the end of the blade, the bayonet was cut down to 10”.

Comment

• nhbandit
                  • Feb 2018

I have seen many US bayonets for sale in various places that came from the Greek returns and they had serial numbers on them that were most likely added by the Greeks.

Comment

Working...
                  X