Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Smallbore
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2020, 10:39 AM

still have the Remington 521 i received for 10th birthday in 1956 - fired 500 + rounds per year since then - only clean when accuracy slips - bore still like the day i received it - no sign of deterioration or wear at all -
Old 08-08-2020, 01:32 PM

I don't have the copies any more of precision shooter magazine but there was an article on the abrasion in 22 barrels from priming compound backed up by photo's etc. The authors were trying a puffer system to blow through the barrel by porting from near the muzzle back to the chamber to remove most of the glass and un-burned powder with each shot. Sounded interesting and a good read but I don't own a 22 of that quality to pursue the thought.
Old 08-08-2020, 03:09 PM

The Eley fire/explosion was back in the 70’s as near as my contacts at Eley would admit to. They’ve had glass in their primer since then.

Most .22’s aren’t accurate enough in the first place to see this affect.

Last edited by ArmyLifer; 08-08-2020 at 03:19 PM.
Old 08-09-2020, 12:35 PM

I think (but do not claim to know) a lot has to do with the steel used in the barrel. I don’t keep good records of round counts for rimfire barrels but my factory Anschutz barrel (chrome molly?) won a Prone national championship and set national records with somewhere in the 40-50k+ range, at least 90% of that being Eley. The bore is still smooth using my Hawkeye. I have used three stainless barrels from two makers since then and they all looked sand blasted by ~1000 rounds with the two worst being from the same maker. I don’t know who made my wife’s barrel, or how many rounds it has, but it has won several national prone titles and records with several 10’s of thousands of rounds (probably all Eley). It has a light sand blasting similar my better stainless barrel... though it still outshoots everything else I have personally seen tested (I have tested a couple dozen at Eley).
Old 08-09-2020, 08:29 PM

Wow I never even heard of a Marlin 322. And I have been collecting Marlins for longer than I can remember. Have them from 1800s to the 90s. Did Marlin actually make it? Or some joint venture?
Old 08-10-2020, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbineone View Post
Wow I never even heard of a Marlin 322. And I have been collecting Marlins for longer than I can remember. Have them from 1800s to the 90s. Did Marlin actually make it? Or some joint venture?
Joint venture with Sako chambered in the Triple Deuce.
And in a moment of lunacy they used micro-groove rifling with a jacketed bullet cartridge.
https://www.marlinforum.com/articles...-model-322.36/