Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2021, 08:36 AM

No problem milprileb. Like you point out - logic has nothing to do with it. I have the tools, the knowledge, the time and the desire to build a copy of a USGI semi-auto M14. While it will certainly cost me more than a used one, it will be in the ballpark with a new SAI.

I have owned a few SAIs in the past and currently have a Scout Squad. After having built up a bunch of garands, I figure it is time to do an M14.
Old 10-22-2021, 09:30 AM

I have enjoyed building dozens of rifles using CMP and other's kits that were available not too long ago. I think the only thing missing on the LRB kits is the gas system along with receiver, barrel and bolt. Price is very good and reasonable. Last CMP kits a purchased were $600.
RVN 67-68
Old 10-22-2021, 03:10 PM

as stated...Yes I Can drives this build course of action. When it comes to I want to or Yes I can, toss the logic and budget out the window, the object is personal satisfaction.

Got no issue on that Gents, by all means press on and bon chance. However for the M1a interested novice who just rolled off the landing craft.....these kits are not the best course of action unless you want a project to pursue, costs not being a kill shot in this endeavor.

Projects often become money sinkholes. Some rifle projects turn out to be awesome !

Some of you know what you want and are going to built it....Good Stuff.

Last edited by milprileb; 10-23-2021 at 07:13 AM.
Old 10-22-2021, 03:23 PM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

Was fortunate a few years ago to buy one of the M14 Dupage parts kits that sold initially for $400 but went up to $600. The kit was all USGI HRA parts including the trigger group.
At about the same time Bula was offering barreled receivers with their bolt for around $700. Was able to build for right around $1100. This was one case that the project wasn't a sinkhole. Boy were those the days....
Old 10-22-2021, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milprileb View Post
as stated...Yes I Can drives this build course of action. When it comes to I want to or Yes I can, toss the logic and budget out the window, the object is personal satisfaction.

Got no issue on that Gents, by all means press on and bon chance. However for the M1a interested novice who just rolled off the landing craft.....these kits are not the best course of action unless you want a project to pursue, costs not being a kill shot in this endeavor.

Projects often become money sinkholes. Some riffle projects turn out to be awesome !

Some of you know what you want and are going to built it....Good Stuff.
I caught the bug 55 years ago and never recovered.

RVN 67-68
Old 10-23-2021, 07:16 AM

If those are all M1A / M14 type rifles, I'm saluting you !!!!
Old 10-23-2021, 07:23 AM

Thanks for this info.
Old 10-23-2021, 07:55 AM

If you Do not just buy everything at LRB you can come in at around $1,400 to $1500.00 building a GI Gun $375.00 for the kit,$169.00 or less on a GI refurbished bolt,NEW Criterion SAK copy NM Barrel or a H&R original GI Barrel $249.00,Fulton reciever $624.95,Gas cylinder $50.00 on GBand a couple small parts and your good to go ALL GI or one with a NM Criterion barrel if you know where to get the parts.

Its not as bad of a money pit as you all are making it out to be,I just bought the parts for mine.

What does a new Springfield Armory gun go for or a Bula go for New or used avarage? I have never really looked in to the Com ercial guns as I always thought the military built gun s resale value would be more in the long run as there are fewer of them and I think theres more demand for a military built gun.

And if you needed to sell your gun,there is thousands of SWA and Bula Guns already for sale all over but not so many USGI Guns floating around for sale as people hold on to them more,I think they will sell for higher prices and sell faster than the SA and Bula guns that are all over the place is why I buy the kits and build the USGI Guns.
Old 10-23-2021, 08:51 AM

Ma Deuce, that's about what I was figuring cost wise. I already have the bolt and barrel on the way. I had a USGI complete gas cylinder left over from some CMP parts I bought eons ago. From looking at Kuhnhausen's .30 caliber service rifles book, t should not be much different than building up a garand and certainly less difficult than building an AK with a stamped receiver.

Now I just have to wait for Fulton to get a new batch of their receivers ready.
Old 10-23-2021, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe303 View Post
Ma Deuce, that's about what I was figuring cost wise. I already have the bolt and barrel on the way. I had a USGI complete gas cylinder left over from some CMP parts I bought eons ago. From looking at Kuhnhausen's .30 caliber service rifles book, t should not be much different than building up a garand and certainly less difficult than building an AK with a stamped receiver.

Now I just have to wait for Fulton to get a new batch of their receivers ready.
I have built a few of these M-14 rifles an d yes if you can build a Garand you can handle this easily,I try to wait to around a holiday if i can to buy recievers from Fulton they always put them on sale and that can save you a few bucks if your not in a hurry,turkey day is just around the corner!