Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Accessories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2020, 01:06 PM

When I was in the military (16th Infantry, 1st Division) in the late 70's, the arms room controlled the bayonets at the company level and they had a hand painted numbers on them.
Kim
Old 09-11-2020, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59Caddy View Post
Thanks - Great article. Safe to say that all Garand bayonets with numbers on the guard are returns from foreign governments?
Yes. The Greek ones are the most prevalent and are easy to spot because they were not done very neatly. Typically the first character or two are a Greek letter. I believe another foreign government also stamped some bayonets on the guard, but I am not sure which one. The US did not stamp anything on the guard. Cut downs were either stamped on the blade, the side of the grip, or not at all.
Old 09-14-2020, 07:30 PM

I bought a 10" M1 Garand bayonet from Sarco in the mid 1980's. I had numbers stamped on the side of the hilt just like the "greek" return bayonets. I assume the MAP bayonets had been being sold off well before the CMP return.
Old 11-27-2020, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plantnut View Post
The picture in the link is of three bayonets I have. The one on the left is the typical black finish on Greek returns with a number stamped on the guard. The other two have a grayish finish with numbers on the guard. Note the difference in the fonts used for the numbers. The right two are both cut-down with the Oneida one rebuilt by Oneida. Are they all three Greek returns, or only the one on the left?

Seems I read somewhere that they would have numbers placed on them when they were reworked - but, I may have misremembered that fact.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...ht3N2V8woeuaqC
The one on the Right is a Greek Return. The two on the left do not look like typical Greek serial numbers. I think that there was one other country that at least sometimes stamped the seral number on their bayonet, but I am not sure about that.
Old 12-01-2020, 06:48 AM

It's worth remembering that if it was made by a US manufacturer, then it started its life out as a US bayonet, then was reissued to the foreign country - just another part of its working life.
Old 12-01-2020, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59Caddy View Post
Thank you for your responses. If I see a Garand bayonet for sale and it has numbers on the guard, is that a definitive indication that it was used/returned/lent to/etc a foreign government? I am seeking a 'rule of thumb' (if you will) that I can use when making a decision to purchase a Garand bayonet.
Definitive? Probably not as there are exceptions to most anything. But it is a very reasonable rule of thumb. On the flip side, absence of numbers does not definitively mean that it WAS NOT in the possession of a foreign government at some point.
Old 12-01-2020, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincalc View Post
It's worth remembering that if it was made by a US manufacturer, then it started its life out as a US bayonet, then was reissued to the foreign country - just another part of its working life.
True. I don't think that it having been lent to a foreign country hurts its value at all. What does effect it is condition. While the numbers being stamped on it are not a large effect to condition, it takes it just that little bit further from being mint. Given a choice between one with extra stamped numbers and one that does not, all things else being equal, most would choose the latter.

But then there also the snobs that look down at Greek return bayonets for no good reason.