Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Talladega Marksmanship Park
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2021, 10:08 AM

Any one know if there are any chrome rifles left?
Old 09-11-2021, 04:18 PM

Well I drove down and for any one who is interested there were 7 Chrome M1 there when I left.
Old 09-11-2021, 04:41 PM

I really wish I could make the trip again !

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachedawg View Post
Well I drove down and for any one who is interested there were 7 Chrome M1 there when I left.
Old 09-12-2021, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachedawg View Post
Any one know if there are any chrome rifles left?
Great Q. I posted a bit on Facebook, so let me add some color here....

I was there yesterday. I saw Tom's post about the restock (THANK YOU TOM, you are a gem to us!) and made the long drive at night, getting to the lot at about 5:45 am. Long drive, lots of coffee, and hopes for a nice purchase. I never owned an IHC and hoped to acquire two, if they were there.

I arrived at the lot at 5:45. I was first in line at 7a in the lobby, and I finished up and left for home at about 11am, so I did not see what was on the racks at the end of the day, however....

IHCs.... It has been rare to see garden variety IHCs on the racks. I did not want to spend $2k on one, and was happy to see the $980 ones available. I know that there was one LEAD rebuild IHC and one OHC with an LMR barrel left on the racks at 11am. There were a lot of the Winchesters left on the racks, including at least three with original win barrels. There were at least three 6Mil SAs on the racks and lots of SA M1Cs, maybe four when I left at 11am CST?

There were a TON of SA specials. The racks were totally full of new CMP wood. It was lovely to see, and missed. Rows of nice, inexpensive, specials!

There were maybe 10 chrome SAs on the racks. I am sure some of them survived the day. If you want a chrome (why though?) I bet they will be there on Wends. Pretty to see. But I would not want to have one with chrome on it.

I have visited Talladega before and the place was NOT swarmed this weekend. I have been there 2X before and saw a line of 15+ waiting at 9am. This was not that morning. I think I saw no more than 3 in line when I left.

Next... My treasures....

I have never owned a IHC, so I grabbed two of those.

One was a Letterkenny LEAD rebuild. Notable that there were two IHC LEADS on the racks that morning, and I grabbed one of them.

The other was an IHC with a 1947 SA barrel, and an AMAZING GAW stock. Some NM parts on it. IHC parts in the sights. It was outstanding. I have a GAW stock for my main SA build so not sure what I will do with this one.

I grabbed a full case of NORMA 308, a five box case of 12 gage 7.5 shot, a cloth sling, and a couple of cleaning kits. LOTS of ammo in stock. 30-06, 308, 10mm is what I recall. But LOTS of options. And value priced! Lots of 9, 8, and 7-1/2 shot as well, cases. Some were target, and some were hunting high brass.

As always, the staff was wonderful and helpful. The other guys were patient and friendly. We shared stories.

Last note.... I got there early and while waiting inside the back lobby, CMP was playing FOXnews coverage the day of Sept 11 (if this is read years from now, then I will point out that yesterday was the 20th Anniversary of 9/11). So I sat there on the couch for 2 hours waiting, as I watched the very same program that I watched when I was a 26 year old boy. I reflected on how everything in our world changed. The US is different. The Middle East is totally different. China and Russia and Europe have all changes. I felt the same feelings, while holding back tears and loving our amazing nation. Then Foxnews ran coverage of all of the names who perished at the WTC. The event paired parents and siblings and spouses of the deceased with children. There were so may 20 year olds, talking about how they missed dad and mom. Damn. It still hurts. 2 hours of watching that, and loving our nation and who we are. A lot of former military were at CMP that morning, and I spoke to a few. We all watched that morning.

Last edited by CFP; 09-12-2021 at 09:24 AM.
Old 09-12-2021, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PH68 View Post
Inventory restock as of 4:00 9/10.

No good cartouches.

WRA SG 11, 3 w/WRA barrels, USGI and CMP stocks.

IHC FG 5, all USGI stocks.

SA 6 million, 3.

M1C SA, SG 2

M1 Chrome, 10, most 100% chrome, very nice.

SA/HRA Special Rack, 45, heel stamp from very nice to poor.

CMP Specials SA/HRA 15, very nice.

WRA Specials FG 18/ RG 7.

Good luck.
Thank you Tom. You made my week. I did the migration down after reading your post, and have gratitude for your kindness to all of us.
Old 09-14-2021, 01:07 PM

So there may still be some chromed M1's from Saturday. Correct?

Also, is there quantity limits still in place? I've seen mention of limits of 2 Garands. Is that per day? I may take some vacation this week and make the 9 hour drive to finish my yearly limit.

Last edited by kbailey3; 09-14-2021 at 01:10 PM.
Old 09-14-2021, 02:37 PM

Two per month

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbailey3 View Post

Also, is there quantity limits still in place? I've seen mention of limits of 2 Garands. Is that per day? I may take some vacation this week and make the 9 hour drive to finish my yearly limit.
Old 09-14-2021, 08:17 PM

Thank you for the comments. I felt the same overwhelming emotions as well and remember that tragic day also. I pray we never forget the ones that lost their lives and the families that lost them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFP View Post
Great Q. I posted a bit on Facebook, so let me add some color here....

I was there yesterday. I saw Tom's post about the restock (THANK YOU TOM, you are a gem to us!) and made the long drive at night, getting to the lot at about 5:45 am. Long drive, lots of coffee, and hopes for a nice purchase. I never owned an IHC and hoped to acquire two, if they were there.

I arrived at the lot at 5:45. I was first in line at 7a in the lobby, and I finished up and left for home at about 11am, so I did not see what was on the racks at the end of the day, however....

IHCs.... It has been rare to see garden variety IHCs on the racks. I did not want to spend $2k on one, and was happy to see the $980 ones available. I know that there was one LEAD rebuild IHC and one OHC with an LMR barrel left on the racks at 11am. There were a lot of the Winchesters left on the racks, including at least three with original win barrels. There were at least three 6Mil SAs on the racks and lots of SA M1Cs, maybe four when I left at 11am CST?

There were a TON of SA specials. The racks were totally full of new CMP wood. It was lovely to see, and missed. Rows of nice, inexpensive, specials!

There were maybe 10 chrome SAs on the racks. I am sure some of them survived the day. If you want a chrome (why though?) I bet they will be there on Wends. Pretty to see. But I would not want to have one with chrome on it.

I have visited Talladega before and the place was NOT swarmed this weekend. I have been there 2X before and saw a line of 15+ waiting at 9am. This was not that morning. I think I saw no more than 3 in line when I left.

Next... My treasures....

I have never owned a IHC, so I grabbed two of those.

One was a Letterkenny LEAD rebuild. Notable that there were two IHC LEADS on the racks that morning, and I grabbed one of them.

The other was an IHC with a 1947 SA barrel, and an AMAZING GAW stock. Some NM parts on it. IHC parts in the sights. It was outstanding. I have a GAW stock for my main SA build so not sure what I will do with this one.

I grabbed a full case of NORMA 308, a five box case of 12 gage 7.5 shot, a cloth sling, and a couple of cleaning kits. LOTS of ammo in stock. 30-06, 308, 10mm is what I recall. But LOTS of options. And value priced! Lots of 9, 8, and 7-1/2 shot as well, cases. Some were target, and some were hunting high brass.

As always, the staff was wonderful and helpful. The other guys were patient and friendly. We shared stories.

Last note.... I got there early and while waiting inside the back lobby, CMP was playing FOXnews coverage the day of Sept 11 (if this is read years from now, then I will point out that yesterday was the 20th Anniversary of 9/11). So I sat there on the couch for 2 hours waiting, as I watched the very same program that I watched when I was a 26 year old boy. I reflected on how everything in our world changed. The US is different. The Middle East is totally different. China and Russia and Europe have all changes. I felt the same feelings, while holding back tears and loving our amazing nation. Then Foxnews ran coverage of all of the names who perished at the WTC. The event paired parents and siblings and spouses of the deceased with children. There were so may 20 year olds, talking about how they missed dad and mom. Damn. It still hurts. 2 hours of watching that, and loving our nation and who we are. A lot of former military were at CMP that morning, and I spoke to a few. We all watched that morning.
Old 09-14-2021, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbailey3 View Post

I was there Sunday afternoon and they still had a few chromed M1ís on the rack.
Old 09-14-2021, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFP View Post
Thank you Tom. You made my week. I did the migration down after reading your post, and have gratitude for your kindness to all of us.
Glad you made the trip and that it worked out for you. Thanks for the nice comment.