X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Youngest of Seven
    • Oct 2018

Uniform Service Bars

Is there a way to search WW2 uniform “bars”? The 1” long about 1/4” wide bars that are on the person’s uniform.
  • Jakeroub
    • Dec 2016

Are you talking about the angled or horizontal bars worn on the sleeve to show either time in service or time overseas?

Comment

• Youngest of Seven
      • Oct 2018

https://share.photocircleapp.com/album/EZ82Z4MH47

Hope this photo link works

Originally posted by Jakeroub View Post
      Are you talking about the angled or horizontal bars worn on the sleeve to show either time in service or time overseas?
      I guess they are called service ribbons.

I did some more searches and found 2 of the 3.
      Now that I’m calling them ribbons. It’s easier to get good results.

Comment

• medalguy
        • Oct 2009

Not sure of the top one but center is WW II Victory and the bottom is American Service for entry/duty after Sept 7, 1939 and before Dec 7. 1941.

Comment

• Natty Bumppo
          • May 2018

I have never seen the top one. Might be foreign?

Comment

• Tinpig
            • Oct 2009

Order of Democratic People's Republic of Korea awarded by Kim Song-il for heroic starvation during the "Bombs not Bread" campaign.

Comment

• Beltfed
              • Nov 2018

Tinpig, Did he stave along with he people? I noticed his grandson is a little overweight. He was also educated in Switzerland. Does no one take notice of these things?

Comment

• jwsemperfi
                • Jan 2010

Those are service ribbons. Some are just a ribbon some are a ribbon that represents a medal. So if you get a medal there will be a ribbon to represent it. Some uniforms you will where your medals and some just your ribbons. The highest medal you have earned will be in the top row towards the right or center of your chest. Then they will work down going to the left and then to the next row.

Comment

• weimar_police
                  • Nov 2012

If you do a google search on service ribbons, there are several sites that show them in color, pages and pages of them.
                  I belong to a militaria group on facebook, but I just look, as I known nothing.
                  Edward Tinker - Co-Author of Police Lugers & Simson Lugers - Veteran Bring Backs Vol 1-4

Comment

• medalguy
                    • Oct 2009

I queried several advanced collectors and the best we could come up with was possibly the top one was an armaments factory patriotic ribbon. There were a lot of these issued by companies to workers who achieved goals or exceeded them. Do you know if the uniform belonged to someone who could have worked in a factory or had a family member who did so? Definitely not a federal award and not a state award, but it could possibly though unlikely be a foreign award since none of the collectors had seen this one before. Best I can do for you.

Comment

• DDRode
                      • Oct 2009

The middle one is the WORLD WAR II VICTORY MEDAL.

The bottom ribbon is the AMERICAN DEFENSE SERVICE MEDAL.

SEE: http://medalsofamericapress.com/wp-c...-3_Page_04.jpg

Dion D. Rode
                      AK2 US Navy / SFC (13F4H) US Army (RET)

In Memoriam:

MSGT Ovlee Robertson (1919-2000)
                      US Army (1941-1954) MOS 01745 (Light Weapons Infantry Leader)
                      WWII: 142nd Inf Regt - 36th "Texas" Inf Div - Salerno, Monte Cassino, Anzio, Invasion Of Southern France, & The Rhineland
                      Korea: 23rd Inf Regt - 2nd "Warriors" Inf Div - Twin Tunnels, Chipyong-Ni, & No Name Line

Comment

• Youngest of Seven
                        • Oct 2018

Originally posted by medalguy View Post
                        I queried several advanced collectors and the best we could come up with was possibly the top one was an armaments factory patriotic ribbon. There were a lot of these issued by companies to workers who achieved goals or exceeded them. Do you know if the uniform belonged to someone who could have worked in a factory or had a family member who did so? Definitely not a federal award and not a state award, but it could possibly though unlikely be a foreign award since none of the collectors had seen this one before. Best I can do for you.

Thank you!!!!

I did find a photo of his headstone. Searched the wording and found he served..

Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 30th Field Artillery Group, inactivated 31 July 1946 in Germany. As far as trade, I believe he worked for Monsanto.

Comment

• medalguy
                          • Oct 2009

Monsanto? Might be a connection there but it's a guess. Monsanto was heavily involved in the creation of the first nuclear bomb for the Manhattan Project during WWII via its facilities in Dayton, Ohio. The Dayton Project was headed by Charlie Thomas, Director of Monsanto's Central Research Department. He later became the company's president. Monsanto also operated a nuclear facility for the federal government in Miamisburg, Ohio, called the Mound Project, until the 1980s.

Comment

Working...
                          X