Go Back   CMP Forums > Marketplace > My Gun DB
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2016, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuapoPogi View Post
Why did you buy this program? Didn't you read this thread first? Its not a CMP program so it is not likely they will do anything for you but maybe your complaint will get them to remove the links to it from the CMP web site. For anyone in the future, don't buy this program. It has many bugs that render it completely broken and unusable for a large numbers of people and there is no support from the developer which means they will not help you get the program to work. They probably don't even monitor the e-mail address anymore. I know I never got replies to my e-mails on my problems.

GuapoPogi
This is my thought. I have had the program for a while and it still works fine, but I figure that will not be the case shortly, so I have been thinking about what to do to replace it.
Old 05-08-2016, 05:57 PM

Didn't read anything. Just responded to a friends recommendation. Paid by credit card thru PayPal, So will not lose anything. Just a bit angry. Any other software worth pursuing?
Old 05-08-2016, 06:04 PM

Will think some more about this over a piece of bourbon.
Old 05-08-2016, 06:14 PM

There are a few others out there, but they are expensive. I think I am going to create an excel document to document the entire collection. Then within the spread sheet I will have quick links to word documents with the rifle data on it as well as the pictures. It seems like the best way to to it that I have control over. It should also provide several layers of insurance so that if the excel document fails I'll still have the word documents. If one word document gets messed up, it should not effect any others. Plus I can back each word document on a disk.

This is just something I have been thinking about, so I don't have all the bugs worked out, but it should work.
Old 05-08-2016, 07:57 PM

Broken, no longer supported. Do Not Buy.

GuapoPogi
Old 05-09-2016, 08:26 PM

Thumbs up NM Collector Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by tda003 View Post
Didn't read anything. Just responded to a friends recommendation. Paid by credit card thru PayPal, So will not lose anything. Just a bit angry. Any other software worth pursuing?
You might consider the CMP edition of NM Collector Software. I've been writing and supporting gun collecting software since the year 2000 and I will be here for many years. My 20 year old son is studying computer programming in college and will most certainly take over nmcollector.net LLC when I move on. I would say it is a pretty safe bet that my software will continue to work into the foreseeable future.

Thanks for your consideration,
Old 05-09-2016, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmCollector View Post
You might consider the CMP edition of NM Collector Software. I've been writing and supporting gun collecting software since the year 2000 and I will be here for many years. My 20 year old son is studying computer programming in college and will most certainly take over nmcollector.net LLC when I move on. I would say it is a pretty safe bet that my software will continue to work into the foreseeable future.

Thanks for your consideration,
You don't by chance have the ability to transfer data from this program to yours?
Old 05-09-2016, 08:37 PM

Arrow Transfer data from My Gun DB to NM Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwcritch View Post
You don't by chance have the ability to transfer data from this program to yours?
Yes, but it requires some work and the use of Excel or Open Office. Since I cannot control his program I did not want to write an interface that would depend on him not changing his exported file format so I had to make the process generic which means more work for you. Here is what I worked out for another customer a while back. It should still work if the My Gun DB export has not changed.

If you need help please feel free to post your questions to my forum and I will do my best to help.

Thanks,
Old 05-10-2016, 07:32 AM

Received my notification and pass code from My Gun DB. 15 minutes turned to 15 hours (really!). I downloaded it and it, in fact, works. HOWEVER, I keep getting error messages w/ Brownells in them. Close them and everything works. I suspect this was an attempt to link Brownells to the program, probably to try to get some revenue from Brownells. However, he just wasn't able to do it correctly. Thus, the error messages. Why he didn't contract out the customer care part of this, I don't know, but he has missed a golden opportunity to make a comfortable living, since there are many folks outside the military arms collectors with large collections of firearms and other collectibles (stamps, coins, watches, etc.) or even re-loaders desiring to track inventory, who I expect would be interested in a program like this. I expect an enterprising young man with a better business head could reverse engineer this database fairly easily and come up with a very viable (and lucrative) business.

As an aside, I'm going to download the CMP freebie and try both. At some point I'll report, but for the foreseeable future, there's range time and fishing!
Old 05-11-2016, 02:57 AM

People are still buying this program? Sadly, I would recommend against that. I began using the program when it was still in the testing phase, but several years ago it stopped working and I've been unable to get any help from the programmer. If someone successfully jumps ship to NM Collector please post here.