Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > National Matches - Camp Perry
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2021, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcj54 View Post
There is no real down time. As soon as you finish the morning event you get in line to squad for the afternoon. You need to pack a lunch and plenty of water.
You can expect to be on the range from 6 am until 4 or 5 pm if shooting am and pm.
Still fun though!
Well: with temperature and humidity, 8-10hrs, multiple trips back and forth, boat delays, biting insects, poison oak, occasional idiots amongst the tractor drivers, officials and competitors, I guess it it still fun..... My first trip there, I was out in the heat for hours before shooting. My scorer assured me I had a gold medal until I stood up for offhand The involuntary muscle contractions from dehydration took care of that. That year there were five relays, AM and PM. After the delay for the parachute drop, we were so late we missed supper. BTW-- If you shoot AM and PM, commercial row will be closed when you finish.... Good Shooting. ...
I
Old 06-12-2021, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcj54 View Post
There is no real down time. As soon as you finish the morning event you get in line to squad for the afternoon. You need to pack a lunch and plenty of water.
You can expect to be on the range from 6 am until 4 or 5 pm if shooting am and pm.
I have done both a number of times, it makes for a long day, but very enjoyable.
Worst year was 2014 when it rained steady all morning and finally stopped around 1:30 pm.
Everything was wet....They only stop a match for lightning and thunder, or if the wind is so strong it pulls the targets off the frames...
I have seen both..
Still fun though!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceresco View Post
Well: with temperature and humidity, 8-10hrs, multiple trips back and forth, boat delays, biting insects, poison oak, occasional idiots amongst the tractor drivers, officials and competitors, I guess it it still fun..... My first trip there, I was out in the heat for hours before shooting. My scorer assured me I had a gold medal until I stood up for offhand The involuntary muscle contractions from dehydration took care of that. That year there were five relays, AM and PM. After the delay for the parachute drop, we were so late we missed supper. BTW-- If you shoot AM and PM, commercial row will be closed when you finish.... Good Shooting. ...
I
Thank you both very much. I am reconsidering my schedule so that I can enjoy other aspects of the event, given the time I have available. Every month I leave the house ~6:45, drive 1 hour 40 minutes, shoot and pull targets, then drive home- sometimes in traffic that extends the drive to over 2 hours. I enjoy it, but doing it 2 days in a row and missing out on the rest of the experience at Perry might need some re-thinking. Shooting the 3 events that comprise the 3-gun aggregate might be a better balance.