Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP North Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-13-2021, 06:31 PM
abeal abeal is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,277
Default North Store 02/13/2021

This morning I went to the North Store with two new CMP customers who had never been to the North Store nor purchased from the CMP. We had scheduled an appointment three weeks ago when we had heard a new truck load of Garands had arrived for the North Store. Our appointment was at 2:30pm but after reading the reports from Friday, we decided to arrive early to see if we could get in earlier. We arrived shortly after 10am and there were not many cars in the parking lot, and a few people were just leaving with their newly purchased rifles, so it looked good for an early arrival. We went in and got checked in and sure enough, there was no one in the store, with a couple of people waiting for their purchases to be finalized and one other person was going into the store ahead of us. Good timing.

The racks were about 50% full. Two sides of a rack of Service Grades with HRAs and SAs; one side of a rack of IHC SGs; four 6 million SAs; a few IHC FGs; 1 M1D; 1-2 M1Cs; and I did not look at the rest. They had .308 Creedmoor ammo in 167g Lapua Scenar; some .308 with a Hornady 168g bullet (I think); and Jim said something about 9mm ammo, but I did not ask specifics. No .30-06 ammo. I did not see any Special Garands, Winchesters, 1917s, or 1903s. Frankly, we were so busy inspecting the Service Grades and the 6 million serial number rifles that we didn't look at much else.

The Service Grades were $750 each and were a mix of HRA and SA rifles, with many of them with worn muzzles between 2-3. A few were at 2 on the muzzle and a few below 2. Some had USGI wood, some had CMP wood. One of my friends found an SA with a USGI stock with a light SA/GW cartouche and lead dipped heal. We saw another rifle with a light SA/JLG cartouche and a 44 barrel but left it behind. Some of the SAs had lead dipped heals, and my two friends each got a WWII SA with lead dipped heals and USGI stocks. One friend's SA rifle had an early op rod and an early small hole SA trigger assembly. I don't remember all the details on their rifles. I saw 5.9m, 4.2m, 4.3m, and WWII serial numbers on other rifles. There were HRA rifles in various serial number ranges including 5.7m.

Then Jim pointed out the four 6 million serial numbered SAs at $1220 each. Their muzzles were around a 1. I got a 6.09m serial number rifle with a boxed SA stock, and the other two friends each got a 6.08m serial numbered rifle. The whole trip was kind of a blur since we were trying to limit our time in the store. Jim, Bob, and the other workers were very helpful explaining the features of the rifles to my friends. I think we did well, even with the racks half full.

The IHC SGs were ok with not a lot of IHC parts. All postage stamp rifles. A few with LMR barrels. I was going to get a IHC SG if I found a good one but the 6 million serial number rifles were in better shape and somewhat rare, so I could not pass on one of them. There was one 6m rifle on the racks when we left.

There is still a 2 rifle limit for the year in the store right now. Hard to imagine that will last all year. We have lived through the days where we had one rifle limits in the NS but the limit was changed as the frenzy died down later in the year. Cross our fingers.

I really miss the old NS building. Probably 3 times the size of the new NS building in the administrative complex. Not as easy getting your purchases to your car even though they have carts. One of the girls helped us get our rifles and cases to the cars in the parking lot. That was really nice of her to help us. The extra space in the old building made it much easier to spend several hours looking leisurely at racks and racks of rifles. It was a fun place to go on the weekends, especially in the winter, and I always seemed to find a rifle to bring home even though I was not planning to buy one. But now we have limits, appointments, and a smaller sized store so it is a different experience. But still a good experience. Where else can you pick up racks of Garands and see the different features?

When I got home, I was thinking back to the old days when the NS had racks of correct SA and HRA rifles for $900 each, and people were ignoring them for the Service Grades. I wish I had bought more of those correct grades. Remember when you could find an SA SG with a HRA trigger assembly and a HRA SG with a SA trigger assembly, and you could buy both and then swap the trigger assemblies when you got home, resulting in correct rifles. Remember the days of the Service Grade Specials which were correct rifles with CMP wood. And remember when the NS was full of carbines, including that one day when it was full of IBM carbines with early parts. But even today, you can still find some interesting rifles, since we are seeing rifles with 6m serial numbers, cartouches, and IHC rifles which were absent for years. Some day in the future, we will be talking about the days when the NS had IHCs, 6m rifles, 1903s, 1917s, etc.

If you plan to get a rifle next week at the NS, I would suggest you go on Thursday.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-13-2021, 09:28 PM
dsteelman dsteelman is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 25
Default

I was right behind you , got there about 10:50 .

Took home a nice SA from 55 w a matching barrel , and a 44 HRA .

As me and my buddy drove home I had the same conversation about what the old store looked like with racks and racks to choose from !

We only got to go today since a couple of people cancelled their appts , after seein the post about the restock a couple weeks ago, I knew this weekend would be about it for stock .
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-15-2021, 11:26 AM
3IDGarand 3IDGarand is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 131
Default

Out of curiosity, are appointments required or can you still line up in the morning before the store opens?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-15-2021, 12:02 PM
TLB TLB is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Midwest
Posts: 2,469
Default

Any rumors on another truck? NS is closer to me and I probably couldn't get to the SS or TMP until June-ish. Looking for a shooter to share. My wish list is a RG or FG Special that i could hand select. Or luck in to a straight FG with excellent barrel readings.
__________________
Current Feedback:
Former iTrader Feedback: 41 with 100% positive transactions
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-15-2021, 12:50 PM
TSimonetti TSimonetti is online now
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Western Pennsylvania
Posts: 4,513
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLB View Post
Or luck in to a straight FG with excellent barrel readings.
This has been very historically possible at the North Store, perhaps not excellent but very very good readings, like TE/ME of 2.5/2 or 3/1 or similar.

However my last trip on the 2/4, the FG's had mediocre barrel readings, as did many of the Service Grades.

That's not to say the ones I saw weren't worth the money. Far from it. For instance, I saw one essentially correct 4.2m FG with 4/2 readings and many of the others had outstanding USGI wood. But this observation is just about barrel readings to keep it in the same context as your post.

If you happen to get a nice condition TE3/ME1 FG you sure would be golden, but a special with Criterion barrel would likely still outshoot it
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-15-2021, 02:52 PM
Testelter Testelter is offline
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Mercer, PA
Posts: 35
Default

When I was there on the 28th of January Bob said we may not see a truck for awhile. Maybe after the order backlog is caught up?

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-15-2021, 04:27 PM
USAAF USAAF is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Midwest / United States
Posts: 165
Default old north store

Quote:
Originally Posted by abeal View Post

I really miss the old NS building. Probably 3 times the size of the new NS building in the administrative complex. Not as easy getting your purchases to your car even though they have carts. One of the girls helped us get our rifles and cases to the cars in the parking lot. That was really nice of her to help us. The extra space in the old building made it much easier to spend several hours looking leisurely at racks and racks of rifles. It was a fun place to go on the weekends, especially in the winter, and I always seemed to find a rifle to bring home even though I was not planning to buy one. But now we have limits, appointments, and a smaller sized store so it is a different experience. But still a good experience. Where else can you pick up racks of Garands and see the different features?

When I got home, I was thinking back to the old days when the NS had racks of correct SA and HRA rifles for $900 each, and people were ignoring them for the Service Grades. I wish I had bought more of those correct grades. Remember when you could find an SA SG with a HRA trigger assembly and a HRA SG with a SA trigger assembly, and you could buy both and then swap the trigger assemblies when you got home, resulting in correct rifles. Remember the days of the Service Grade Specials which were correct rifles with CMP wood. And remember when the NS was full of carbines, including that one day when it was full of IBM carbines with early parts. But even today, you can still find some interesting rifles, since we are seeing rifles with 6m serial numbers, cartouches, and IHC rifles which were absent for years. Some day in the future, we will be talking about the days when the NS had IHCs, 6m rifles, 1903s, 1917s, etc.

If you plan to get a rifle next week at the NS, I would suggest you go on Thursday.
ABEAL,
I Remember those days. My first time visiting at the old building, I was amazed as I walked in and saw the racks of rifles on the floor and wall hung racks also. Did not know where to start. I think I spent 3 - 4 hours there.
I had a 4 hour drive, so wanted to make the trip worth while. Came for at least one, and took home 3 rifles and case of ammo.
Yes, the good old days ...... and I did get one of those corrects, at that time I remember $850.00 Maybe it was $900.00. Thanks for reminice. looking for a time machine.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-16-2021, 12:07 AM
abeal abeal is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,277
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3IDGarand View Post
Out of curiosity, are appointments required or can you still line up in the morning before the store opens?
Make an appointment but arrive early and they will probably let you in early, especially on Thursday and Friday.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-16-2021, 01:11 AM
abeal abeal is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,277
Default

Old NS posts.

https://web.archive.org/web/20190720...ad.php?t=43199
https://web.archive.org/web/20190719...ad.php?t=40777
https://web.archive.org/web/20190719...ad.php?t=37679

From October 2009, here is a rack of IBM carbines at the NS.
https://imgur.com/gallery/4BUkbj3

Last edited by abeal; 02-16-2021 at 01:48 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-16-2021, 04:50 PM
Digital_Chaos Digital_Chaos is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Pickerington Ohio
Posts: 295
Default

I remember during the matches at the north store they had a trailer and gave out 40 rounds of free 30.06 Hornaday match grade ammo with your match card in hand.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:44 AM.