Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2021, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotSnlB28 View Post
........ The type 3 band is also not characteristic of a Bavarian, most had the original type 1 or 2 bands refinished with the rest of the rifle. Not to say the seller changed it, CMP may have even done it to make the rifle serviceable......

On the Bavarian M1 website I did find a Tirol Inland M1 carbine, the same as mine based on trigger housing markings - L.G.K.T (Landes Gendarmerie Kommando - Tirol) that has a Type III barrel band but it had also been sold through the CMP which kind of leads me to believe CMP is probably responsible for installing it.

Does that pass the smell test?
I have a lot to learn about these and I appreciate the help.

Last edited by Big_Red; 08-06-2021 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Reduce insanely large pics
Old 08-03-2021, 05:53 PM

Anything is possible at the CMP. During the Carbine frenzy, I used to go down to the SS every other weekend or so. Not sure what was given to CMP, but they had ones with Flip sights, T2/T3 sights, all grades, boltless, and barreled receivers. I would assume that they put together as many incomplete rifles as they could. I remember seeing several with the silver solder still on the receiver. But it would appear that they had more rifles than parts!
Old 08-03-2021, 08:24 PM

Trepang, you may have found this already but it discusses the notch sight modification: http://www.bavarianm1carbines.com/oddities.html
I have never heard that CMP removed any notch sights. At least on the CMPs returns, I think it was done before that. As I recall, the CMP was sending out some rack grades with solder remnants left on the ring. I was hesitant to order one at the time because of that, but I took a chance and got a really nice one.
Your barrel band looks NOS, I'd say replaced after the rifle was in service because of that.

Congrats on getting one, they are some of my favorites. I was lucky enough to win a beautiful late Winchester Bavarian Forestry Police from CMP auction at the time as well. If I could go back in time, I'd have bought a lot more as they were really well cared for and a neat piece of history.

Last edited by GotSnlB28; 08-04-2021 at 07:00 AM.
Old 08-03-2021, 10:31 PM

The Right thing to do is give Credit to Jim Mock for the work he put in to the Bavarian-Austrian and Commercial Carbines Web Sites. Credit is also due to Larry Ruth, Carbine owners who passed along information, fellow researchers and The Carbine Collectors Club. The material is there for all to learn and contribute information when and if you can.
Copyright 2012-2021 The Carbine Collectors Club. All Rights Reserved.

Imagine the time, work, research, formatting and costs put in to this for our benefit.

I tip my hat to The Sleep Less One... Jim Mock. I don't know how he does it all.

VR,
Charlie-Painter777
Old 08-04-2021, 11:50 AM

Thanks guys for all the info and help.

I am very grateful for all of you as well as Jim Mock and the Bavarian-Austrian and Commercial Carbines Website.

I am just beginning to learn about the carbines and I appreciate all the help I can get.
Old 08-04-2021, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trepang View Post
Thanks guys for all the info and help.

I am very grateful for all of you as well as Jim Mock and the Bavarian-Austrian and Commercial Carbines Website.

I am just beginning to learn about the carbines and I appreciate all the help I can get.

Time to find another.
Much easier to study when you have a few to compare :-D

Ch-P777
Old 08-20-2021, 04:56 PM

I took the Bavarian Rural Police 1943 Inland M1 Carbine apart a little bit this afternoon.

It appears to be "correct" as to the way it was returned to the US Army from the Germans/Austrians.

Gotta love the German's love of serializing everything.

So far I have found the last four digits of the receiver's serial numbers (6437) on:

The bolt
The slide
The stock
The hand guard
The trigger housing