X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Griff557
    • Apr 2016

10m air rifle scores ?

I know this isn’t the air rifle forum but that one seems pretty dead. Just out of curiosity how do 10m offhand air rifles compare to small bore or 100yd service rifle scores?

I picked up a RWS Diana 75 to hopefully work on my off hand scores for small bore/service rifle. The rifle shoots just fine I’ve cleaned a few 10m targets off the bench with it. I’ve had the rifle a couple weeks and have been shooting about 70 give or take.

Just for giggles I looked back at my offhand scores for indoor 50’ small bore and 100yd service rifle. I shoot an older Anschutz 1407 for small bore and usually shoot the upper 70’s low 80’s

My offhand 100yd service rifle with my Garand are about 80 give or take and with my AR I shoot mid-upper 80’s offhand

It would seem like my 10m scores would kinda mirror my other offhand scores or is the air rifle/10m target less forgiving
  • nbkky71
    • Oct 2009

Offhand with a 10m air rifle is quite a challenge to shoot well. My son shoots 10m air rifle at my local club and occasionally I'll shoot a string as time/availability permits.

My 10m offhand scores are a bit lower than my service rifle scores (primarily due to follow-through). That .5mm 10-ring is tough!!! Air rifle is definitely a good training tool if you're looking to up your SR scores.
    CMP Distinguished Rifleman #2113
    NRA XTC HighMaster Class

Comment

• captaincalc
      • Apr 2010

I use air gun to polish up my offhand - I don't look for overall score as much as developing consistancy. Both rifle and pistol. Helps a lot with trigger control. I use my 44US in the garage with those no-powder Aquila rounds in the garage ( okay, living room, too) towards the same end. It's great using a "regular" trigger to practice.

Comment

• ESWL
        • Jun 2012

The CMP sells the "10-Bull National Match Air Rifle competition target, 200 yard SR target reduced". It is shot at 10 yards and mimics the 200 yard SR target that is shot off-hand and sitting.

https://estore.thecmp.org/Catalog/Item/TARGET%20A4%20SR

Art

Comment

• dave tengdin
          • Oct 2009

It all depends on what you're shooting at! 10m AR-1 target scores are generally higher than 50' A-36 smallbore scores, but lower than 50' A-17 target scores. Since small bore is divided in to "Gallery Shooting" (indoor) and competitive shooting (50m often shot outdoors) the scores differ.

But it is generally true that the 10m 10 ring for a .177 pellet is a bigger 10 ring (1.0mm) than the 50' A-36 10 ring (1.0mm) is for a .22 caliber bullet at the relative distances. All that is required is that part of the projectile touch part of the ring to score the point (in integer scoring). If you are doing decimal scoring then things pretty much even out.

I know of no small bore events that are shot at such extreme distances as 200m, but I DO have a gun (Remington 40x with a Weaver 36x scope) that is set up specifically for that distance. Best I can seem to shoot it is about 3" groups with Tenex as ammo.

If you go over to www.targettalk.org there is a LOT more technical discussion about that style of shooting. Many many real experts there.

A .22 l.r. at 200 yards has the same time of flight (there is about 62" of arc to the bullet flight---0.94 seconds) as a .308 Win at 500 yards, and is often used as a more economical alternative for practice
          Last edited by dave tengdin; 04-28-2021, 10:16 AM.

Comment

• Griff557
            • Apr 2016

Indoor 50’ small bore I usually shoot A17’s occasionally A36’s. Service rifle I use SR1’s and SR’s. The 10m air rifle targets I’ve been using are AR 5/10’s which have a similar 10 ring “fly spec” like the A36’s

Comment

Working...
            X