Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2021, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronwall View Post
Could you load a regular eight rd enbloc with five inert dummy rounds and top it off with three blanks? It's also possible to load the blanks in a regular empty enbloc after it's inserted in the rifle
Yes, loading five dummy rounds and three blanks would work, but then you have a 50/50 chance of somebody putting the clip in upside down. If something CAN go wrong, it WILL.

And yes, there are ways of loading the M1 Garand with three rounds, but it does require some practice and expertise - not always an option when assembling an honor guard firing squad on short notice. As has been pointed out, many of the veterans who serve on these details, are not fully trained on the M1 Garand.

The advantages of having a special 3 round clip is that you could load the clips in advance, and transport them to the site, separately from the rifles.

Load the rifles when in position, and when the firing is over, the clips (painted a high visibility color for retrieval) would be ejected, and the rifle seen as empty/safe by each shooter and the man in charge.

Unfortunately, what happens all too often is that either rifles are transported to the site already loaded with three rounds - Or a full 8 round clip of blanks is inserted, only three fired, and the loaded rifle returned to the trunk of someone's car (presumably with the safety on). There have actually been a few mishaps with these unsatisfactory practices.

If the CMP, which furnishes the rifles to the honor guard teams, were to contract with a firm to produce 3 Round clips, and distribute them to the teams, it would go a long way in promoting safe handling of these rifles.
Old 03-04-2021, 07:42 AM

I donít have a personal use or need but here is a video of another way to make a 5-rd clip but use his short side as your long side and you could make a 3-rd.

See: https://youtu.be/enPH9GB038o

I donít know that a commercial company would sell enough to justify a new SKU especially for as cheap as they sell them but I bet there is a better chance if a larger organization like CMP or VFW were to place an order for say 1000 of these at once and then they distribute them to that customer base.
Old 03-04-2021, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarterbore View Post
I donít have a personal use or need but here is a video of another way to make a 5-rd clip but use his short side as your long side and you could make a 3-rd.

See: https://youtu.be/enPH9GB038o

I donít know that a commercial company would sell enough to justify a new SKU especially for as cheap as they sell them but I bet there is a better chance if a larger organization like CMP or VFW were to place an order for say 1000 of these at once and then they distribute them to that customer base.
Thanks for the video.

I agree with you that it would take a large order and interest from an organization like CMP to get a company to manufacture a three round clip.

The problem with individuals altering existing 8 round clips to hold only 3 rounds is that there would be no over all quality control, and it could cause liability issues.

If a company which already produces 2, 5, or 8 round clips were to be offered a contract to produce a quantity of 3 round clips, they would probably jump on the opportunity, as they would need only a minor tooling change to accomplish the task.

Since the US armed forces do not use the M1 in honor ceremonies (they use either the M-14 or the M-16), they would see no justifiable reason to fund such a project. But the CMP could easily justify it in the name of safety and support for the Veteran Honor teams using CMP furnished M1 rifles.
Old 03-04-2021, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by navyrifleman View Post
Yes, loading five dummy rounds and three blanks would work, but then you have a 50/50 chance of somebody putting the clip in upside down. If something CAN go wrong, it WILL.
Could you put three blanks on each end of the clip with two inert dummy rounds in the middle? After firing three blank rounds from either side of the clip a dummy round would be chambered then without manually cycling both dummy rounds that would be the end of it.
Old 03-11-2021, 02:27 PM

I received my wooden ďcadenceĒ training block a few days ago and I finally got around to trying it and getting some measurements. It works really great especially for my drill rifle where I canít use dummy rounds.

Here are some photos with dimensions.

https://imgur.com/gallery/ume3xBZ
Old 03-12-2021, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarterbore View Post
I received my wooden ďcadenceĒ training block a few days ago and I finally got around to trying it and getting some measurements. It works really great especially for my drill rifle where I canít use dummy rounds.

Here are some photos with dimensions.

https://imgur.com/gallery/ume3xBZ
Great pictures! Thanks for posting them.

The best way to drill them would be to make a number of these all at the same time by taking a length of wood that approximates the side measurements and fore/aft measurements and drill holes spaced so that the "grooves" will be in the correct place when you next cut through the holes with a power saw.
Old 03-12-2021, 05:40 PM

Midway has them and not expensive.
Old 03-12-2021, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by navyrifleman View Post
Great pictures! Thanks for posting them.

The best way to drill them would be to make a number of these all at the same time by taking a length of wood that approximates the side measurements and fore/aft measurements and drill holes spaced so that the "grooves" will be in the correct place when you next cut through the holes with a power saw.
Agreed, after you have one as a pattern that would be easiest. I realized I should have included one more dimension. I can’t edit IMG URL on my phone so had to create new file. Dimension pics are at the end.

https://imgur.com/gallery/SOtU89M

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakorick View Post
Midway has them and not expensive.
That’s where I found mine.