Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP 1911
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2020, 05:21 PM

Default Mis-matched slides and other parts

Slides and such were given no regard to matching up while cleaning bulk numbers of pistols. Our reserve armory had a couple of ultra-sound cleaners. The reserves would fire for Qual during the weekend and leave us, the regular staff to clean the pistols. Meant that the pistols were disassembled, major components put into the cleaners. After cleaning, lubed, reassembled and returned to the armory. We broke the pistols down, removed the grips, slide and barrel went into a cleaner, lower half went into another. So if you received a Marine pistol that is in any way "matching" count yourself lucky.
Old 01-20-2020, 05:42 PM

Mine was matching finish and parts — all battleship grey unfortunately.
Old 01-20-2020, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logdog View Post
Slides and such were given no regard to matching up while cleaning bulk numbers of pistols. Our reserve armory had a couple of ultra-sound cleaners. The reserves would fire for Qual during the weekend and leave us, the regular staff to clean the pistols. Meant that the pistols were disassembled, major components put into the cleaners. After cleaning, lubed, reassembled and returned to the armory. We broke the pistols down, removed the grips, slide and barrel went into a cleaner, lower half went into another. So if you received a Marine pistol that is in any way "matching" count yourself lucky.
My experience in the Army as well. Cleaning details and mineral spirits tanks.
Old 01-24-2020, 11:51 AM

Even if original and kept together at unit level probably were not after first rebuild and some have been rebuilt several times. Finding a rebuilt one from the services that was as it left the factory is way past rare, more like miraculous. Even if the slide and frame are the same manufacturer doesn't mean they were together originally.
Old 01-26-2020, 05:46 PM

When this has come up in the past, the reply has been, "It is their property, they can do as they wish."
Maybe they try to ignore the "rebuild" status and hope to pass it off as original.
I don't see the point either but to each his own.
Old 01-26-2020, 06:01 PM

It is an exercise in futility, to be sure. Collectors are only interested in guns in original condition. There doesn’t seem to be any like that among the CMP 1911’s. Nevertheless, these pistols have opened a new category for small, new, and collectors on a budget. Soon there will be folks accumulating certain rebuilds just as there are folks seeking certain rebuilds of M1 Garand rifles.
Old 01-26-2020, 07:43 PM

Matching as received from the CMP. That’s good enough for me!!
Old 01-27-2020, 08:57 AM

Through my many decades in the military, I have been in many different units. Some companies had a team that was assigned to clean all the weapons after qualification. Other units required required the shooters to clean their own weapons. My policy was, if you shoot it you clean it. The only exception was for the commander who had more important things to do. Even with each soldier cleaning his assigned weapon, there was still a possibility of parts getting switched from one weapon to another. I for one am very happy to have received a CMP M1911A as received from the military versus as received from the manufacturer.
Old 02-02-2020, 11:53 AM

MajDave- an officer cleaning a weapon? Oh, the horror of it all,lol. These pistols are all 'history' no matter the configuration. Heck, someone could have a frame the McArthur fondled or a slide that Halsey touched!
Old 02-02-2020, 12:04 PM

Yes, I made officers clean their weapon. I was in a medical unit after 23 years as an enlisted soldier from an engineer unit when I took my commission. As you probably know, medical units are very heavy with officers. Of course the enlisted had to teach the officers how to disassemble and clean their weapons.