Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > National Match AR
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2021, 03:54 PM

Default Rock River National Match Trigger

Just installed a new RRnm trigger..... I get exactly 4.5 lbs on my trigger pull gauge... sometimes less than 4.5 I am using a wheeler spring type gauge. are there any tricks to get a little more weight on it not sure if my gauge is off , or not but hate to get to a Match and not be able to shoot because of a light trigger. the Trigger is excellent and breaks like a glass rod on the 2nd stage. I'm on a budget so a Giesle isn't in the cards right now.

can I bend the trigger spring more open?... not quite sure of the physics of how the RRNM works Thank you in advance.
Edit/Delete Message
Old 01-26-2021, 09:47 PM

Some triggers when they are set really close will not weigh out if they get oil in them, flush it out good with something that will remove all oil and find someone with trigger weights to check it. I’m not sure you can get a good check with a spring gauge. If you have enough bullets around you can make a weight with bullets and a bandanna and some string, 7000 grains to a pound.
Old 01-27-2021, 09:45 AM

Rra nm triggers are good budget triggers but notorious for not making weight.Some when new and some after being used awhile.You can bend the original spring and it will hold for awhile or get a Geissle DMR trigger spring for it.
Old 01-27-2021, 10:11 AM

After a season, maybe two, my RRA NM trigger stopped making weight. I replaced the springs with the JP Enterprises Service Rifle springs and it was back to new.
CMP HP Master
DR#2474 (2019) 1/2 with irons, 1/2 with optics
Old 01-29-2021, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VALKRIDER View Post
Rra nm triggers are good budget triggers but notorious for not making weight.Some when new and some after being used awhile.You can bend the original spring and it will hold for awhile or get a Geissle DMR trigger spring for it.
The DMR spring , or the NM spring?........def gonna save pennies for a Giessle, but a 12.00 spring set may hold me over.....matches are supposed to start Feb 19......
Old 01-29-2021, 07:41 AM

NM or Service rifle spring sets will get it done. 4.5# pull is what you are after.
CMP HP Master
DR#2474 (2019) 1/2 with irons, 1/2 with optics
Old 01-29-2021, 01:45 PM

Exclamation

Bend the hammer spring legs to increase the tension when installed. Bend near the coils. That is an easy and virtually permanent fix. Don't go to a match with right at 4.5#. The technique of the tester and equipment used determines whether it will pass on not. Honestly the difference between 5 and 4.5# you'll never notice.

People often comment about RRA trigger longevity or unreliability. I have one on a varmint AR that has lasted long enough to wear out the first upper I shot for 5 years. That upper had about 12,000 rounds through it when retired and the current upper has about 5,000 rounds through it. The only change in the trigger is that it has decreased about half a pound in pull, to right at 4.2#. I have RRA NM and Varmint triggers on most of my hunting AR's and my CMP competition AR and love them. Buy two for the price of a single high end one yet you still get a good trigger.

The one and only one I ever had an issue with was the first I ever bought. It wouldn't reset. I found a dent and smoothed it with a fine stone and it was good to go. Apparently it happened because of the poor, loose packaging RRA uses, coupled with poor handling and packaging by the shipper. The box looked like it had been though a meat grinder when it arrived and the shipper didn't put any packing material in the box. That BTW is the trigger that now has about 15000 rounds through it and counting.
Old 01-30-2021, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john Biros View Post
The DMR spring , or the NM spring?
The DMR spring.It's very close in pull weight to the RRA trigger spring.You don't want the NM spring or you will have a very heavy first stage.Not good on a RRA nm trigger.RRA nm triggers are not unreliable.They are good triggers for the money.The trigger spring is the unreliable part.The average person will never know it but a competitive shooter needs to pass weight check.

Last edited by VALKRIDER; 01-30-2021 at 06:31 PM.
Old 01-30-2021, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john Biros View Post
.def gonna save pennies for a Giessle, but a 12.00 spring set may hold me over.
John, I'll offer this advise.Use the RRA nm trigger for now(it will work just fine),but save your $ and get the Geisselle as soon as possible.If you spend a long time(multiple competitive seasons) on the RRAnm trigger your brain/muscle memory will get programmed to the very even weight distribution of the stages.This will give you problems with the Geisselle nm which are set up very heavy on the front end and light on the second stage.I personally like the Wisconsin X trigger but the owner of the company recently passed away and am not sure what's going on with the company.

Last edited by VALKRIDER; 01-30-2021 at 06:56 PM.
Old 03-24-2021, 10:04 AM

Lots of good advice in this thread already.

I have a bunch of RR triggers, 3 Larues and 4 Geisselle triggers. For 87 bucks the Larue is hard to beat! All need to be tweeked/adjusted to get where you need to be. I don't try to get them right at 4.5 anymore. I got burned at the inspection table one time and learned my lesson. A good crisp, CONSISTANT anything below 5#'s is fine with me.

https://www.larue.com/products/larue...bt-2s-trigger/
Distinguished Rifleman Badge #2287
Presidents Hundred (Top 20 Shootoff)
NRA XTC Service Rifle- High Master
NRA Midrange - High Master
CMP XTC Service Rifle - Master
CMP Master Instructor
Almost Perfect Attendance in the 3rd grade