Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > National Match AR
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2021, 05:47 PM

Default Will my rifle work for EIC matches???

So I have decided to start competing for EIC points. I am going to signup for the 101 clinic in March, however only a few days after that is another EIC match that I would like to compete in. With that I have a bare-bones AR-15 flat-top I put together with a receiver I already had laying around and a Del-Ton 20'' Heavy Rifle Kit topped with a Nikon 1-4 scope. Nothing fancy at all, but it goes bang and is pretty accurate with ball ammo. When I put this rifle together several years ago its purpose was to be a rifle to practice with until I could afford a good match rifle, but after several deployments, schools, and then the beer-bug, well here we are.

My questions is, according to rule 4.1.1 when it refers to the barrel is states "No full-length heavy barrels are permitted. No portion of the barrel forward of the rearward location of the gas block or front sight tenon shall have a diameter exceeding .750." So, what is considered a "Full-length heavy barrel"? On my barrel it is less than .750" forward of the gas block, but it is greater than .750" under the hand guards.

Any assistance is appreciated as I am trying to get started, and worst-case I will just do the clinic for now, or I could pull scopes off my M1a's, but I don't really want to do that at this point.

Also, I have no fantasy or allusion about what my rifle is, I just want to use it to get me started until I can purchase a better rifle. I know a free-floating match barrel with a different twist would be better, or a Nightforce scope is preferred for some.
Old 02-09-2021, 06:36 PM

NOT the CMP but I have always thought that it meant a "Bull" barrel forward of the front sight...... which you don't have ..... so you are good.

Last edited by Gewehr43; 02-09-2021 at 09:26 PM.
Old 02-12-2021, 10:02 PM

You'll be fine with that set up to start out with. That rule is in place because they don't want barrels with a larger diameter than .750" forward of the gas block. As you progress, you'll want a better barrel and also to have it free floated. White Oak Armament or Compass Lake Engineering are just a couple of places to outfit you with what you need. I think the little Nikon is a great scope and as long as your zeros with it are consistently repeatable, it will do the job just fine.

One piece of advice that I'll give you is this - once you've decided that shooting service rifle is for you, shoot with the best equipment and most accurate ammunition that you can afford - that part usually means reloading for the majority of us. When you start hunting for leg points, you don't want to have any doubts about your equipment or ammo. Also, remember to enjoy the process and have fun. Getting the DR badge is a very rewarding (and humbling at times) journey. Best of luck and good shooting.
Old 02-14-2021, 07:57 PM

Thanks guys for the input. Yes reloading will also happen as I go. I have been reloading/helping reload almost my entire life, so I absolutely understand the befits when you're trying to get that last little bit out of your rifle.

Grey, you mentioned White Oak, and I have been looking at their uppers, but I have also been looking at the RRA CMP uppers & rifles, is there one better than the other in your opinion? If so would you mind elaborating? Thank you.
Old 02-14-2021, 09:33 PM

RRA makes fine rifles and uppers for service rifle competition as well as White Oak. You really can't go wrong with either. They both use Wilson button cut barrel blanks which means that they generally will last about 3,000 rounds before the groups start opening up at 600 yards. I like White Oak because I've met the owner, John Holliger and his family out at Perry a number of times and they've always been very nice and really great to deal with over the years.

Incidentally I shot an RRA A2 at SAFS for my cherry leg points several years ago now and I really liked that rifle. The only thing I can say negatively about it is that the RRA NM trigger sometimes has a way of becoming a single stage from wear and tear after several thousand rounds so a good quality trigger is a must in whatever rifle you have. There are a lot of options out there but the standard seems to be either the Geissele or the Wisconsin M-K II. There is a way to make the LaRue MBT trigger suitable for XTC which is what I'm using now but that's a different discussion.

Anyway, hope this helps.
Old 02-14-2021, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyTuono View Post
RRA makes fine rifles and uppers for service rifle competition as well as White Oak. You really can't go wrong with either. They both use Wilson button cut barrel blanks which means that they generally will last about 3,000 rounds before the groups start opening up at 600 yards. I like White Oak because I've met the owner, John Holliger and his family out at Perry a number of times and they've always been very nice and really great to deal with over the years.

Incidentally I shot an RRA A2 at SAFS for my cherry leg points several years ago now and I really liked that rifle. The only thing I can say negatively about it is that the RRA NM trigger sometimes has a way of becoming a single stage from wear and tear after several thousand rounds so a good quality trigger is a must in whatever rifle you have. There are a lot of options out there but the standard seems to be either the Geissele or the Wisconsin M-K II. There is a way to make the LaRue MBT trigger suitable for XTC which is what I'm using now but that's a different discussion.

Anyway, hope this helps.
Thank you, yes very helpful. Amazing how you can always be learning in this hobby.
Old 02-14-2021, 09:49 PM

Glad I could be of some assistance. I would suggest (if you haven't already) that you become a member of nationalmatch.us - there's a ton of info on there about the sport and lots of people happy to help out. I've got the same handle on there.
Old 02-15-2021, 08:45 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyTuono View Post
Glad I could be of some assistance. I would suggest (if you haven't already) that you become a member of nationalmatch.us - there's a ton of info on there about the sport and lots of people happy to help out. I've got the same handle on there.
Just signed up last week, using my same handle here as well.
Old 02-16-2021, 09:42 PM

Very good - see you on there.
Old 02-17-2021, 11:10 PM

Hoping you all might be able to provide me a bit of insight on building a competition rifle too - I decided to go look at WOA uppers, and was considering their 20" service rifle one here:
https://www.whiteoakarmament.com/a4-...e-ban-1-7.html
but....the weight is 7.38lbs, and I don't see how I can build a complete rifle under the 7.5lb maximum the CMP rulebook states for the requirements of a Category A Modern Service Rifle. What am I missing?