Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-10-2012, 12:40 PM

Hugh,

You may want to factor in the following additional information into your calculations.

1) For the plain-language folks like me, the amount of kinetic energy is a function of the inertia of the bolt (weight, speed, spring tension) and the force applied. That force is concentrated only across the surface area of the primer (which is in contact with the bolt) NOT the entire surface area of the bolt face. Remember, in my scenario the primer is protruding higher that the base of the case. If this concentrated force on the rear of the primer does not move to seat the primer in this out-of-spec casing, the primer will be crushed. If the primer was sticking out in the first place, you have to assume that it did not seat properly when it was installed. Therefore, why would it seat when the bolt was pushing on it?

2) I understand how you are making the comparison to the Lee Auto-primer as far as seating the primer. I am a bit familiar with that since I have now broken my second lever off of one deep-seating primers into .30-06 cases last month. (Surplus cases, strong hands, stubborn determination to th epoint of stupidity???) However, that tool (as well as every primer seating tool I have used) is designed to apply a steady, consistent force over the primer as it seats it. Oh, and I reviewed the Lee Auto-Primer instructions and found the following at the top of the first page:

"Primers will explode if shocked or crushed. Wear safety glasses at all times when priming or handling primers.
Warning If you feel an increase in pressure on the lever earlier than normal, you have a problem and continued pressure may result in a primer detonation."

Also, please remember that CCI, Winchester, Federal, etc all sell their primers in self-contained packaging designed to prevent shock and sympathetic detonations.

3) Hugh, you are correct that there are people who fall into the class of a "profoundly mentally challenged reloader". However, this scenario of an out of spec case is possible with both reloaded ammo and poor quality/damaged commercial/surplus ammo.

My points here are not to continue an argument or to prove anyone wrong. It is help others understand what is unsafe and dangerous. People relate that they find commercial ammo with primers backwards, necks that were crushed and bullets poorly seated. I personally have found those type of issues twice in commercial ammo. I have also found it COUNTLESS times in military ammo across a career.

Using unsafe ammo (either reloads or commercially produced) is dangerous, even in a weapon which is in good working order. It is the gun owner's responsibility to inspect the ammuntion prior to use.

That is the real lesson out the original post of this "M14 blow-up"

Last edited by Tired Retired; 07-10-2012 at 12:49 PM.