Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2014, 03:57 PM

Default M14 build Off JRA receiver

To start off, I am new to the M14 world. After speaking with a few members and hooking up with Ripp, I will be starting a build within the next two weeks. I am a beginner and Ripp living so close is gonna help me out from step one to the end.

1. Ordered my receiver today from Mark at JRA. He let me pick my receiver serial and I am proud to say, 308 is my number! A+++ so far for JRA cause they are getting my receiver out today as well. The ladies that work there and Mark are great to talk to and are friendly as can be.

Also got the last parts kit from an online retailer, we will see how it turns out.

Stay tuned for more, as Ripp and I will try to make some videos during the build to show how to do things such as barreling a receiver.

Last edited by algaskin31; 02-17-2014 at 04:57 PM.
Old 02-13-2014, 05:28 AM

Sounds super. I think you will enjoy building on a JRA receiver. The 4 that I have worked with were spot on. In fact, the last one went together with no bolt lapping and had excellent contact on both lugs. I am kinda doing this as an experiment to see what will happen. Headspace came out right at 1.633 with no lapping or reaming using one of Jon Wolfe's modified standard weight match barrels.Test firing was flawless and the rifle held the 10 ring on an SR-1 one its maiden voyage.

Semper Fi
Art

Last edited by nf1e; 02-13-2014 at 11:36 AM.
Old 02-13-2014, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by algaskin31 View Post
Stay tuned for more, as Ripp and I will try to make some videos during the build to show how to do things such as barreling a receiver.
I wish you well with the build, looking forward to seeing the vids.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nf1e View Post
Test firing was flawless and the rifle held the 10 ring on an SR-1 one its maiden voyage.
I think it shoots so good because that stock is so gorgeous!
Old 02-13-2014, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWillis View Post
I think it shoots so good because that stock is so gorgeous!
Yep, Fred's did me good on that one.
Old 02-16-2014, 12:47 AM

All parts should be here by weeks end!
Old 02-17-2014, 12:58 PM

Nice stick Art.

I'm looking forward to getting into this build with you as well gaskin. I haven't had the opportunity to get my hands on one of Mark's new receivers since he corrected some of Chris' minor imperfections with the 7.62MM receiver.

Bula does excellent work when they know what needs work, and in my opinion and recent discussions with Mark about this receiver, he listens and orders it done right. Bula obeys orders and turns out a fantastic job from my past experience with them and 7.62MM Firearms.

James River Armory will be a force to be reckoned with in the coming years of M14 receiver suppliers for guys like us.

I have no doubt that if I do find anything with these receivers that requires changes or more work, that Mark and the entire staff at JRA will be "Johnny on the Spot" about correcting it.

This particular design and company, holds a special significance and meaning for me because of all the work I did initially with Chris on these receivers. I so much wanted him to succeed because I knew the product, staff, and machining at Bula was exemplary work. I'm really glad that when the football was fumbled on the three yard line by Chris with these hammer forged receivers, that Mark is the guy that picked it up and is running it back for a touchdown and the winning score.

I understand that Chris is still making a new drive for a touchdown with his new barstock receivers, and I wish him well too. There is still something to be said for a man that refuses to quit, no matter what others say about him, I admire him for that. I am only like others in wishing he would pay more attention to customer service. He knows about quality control and I can attest to his ability in this regard when he pays attention to it. I have some of the finest 7.62 receivers ever made, that are as close to G.I. and perfection as it gets, so I know Chris is capable. Gus Fisher has also attested to his ability and product. That makes this receiver cut by the same maker as Chris used, Bula, with their past experience in doing so, & JRA, a step in the right direction.

We will try to cover everything on this build with the most comprehensive means for all home builders. We could end up doing it at our new shop where gaskin lives, or at my place. Either way, we will try to document as much as possible to try to help others in their quest for learning about this venerable rifle, and it's assembly from scratch.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:26 PM

http://s1311.photobucket.com/user/al...?sort=3&page=1
Old 02-20-2014, 08:55 PM

Got my parts kit today, and what can a say. WOW! Very good condition. Picking up my receiver and bolt tomorrow. Stay tuned
Old 02-21-2014, 09:38 PM

Got the rest that I needed minus a firing pin. My receiver appears to be nicely done, but i believe the finish rides on the black side a little too much. Other than that, ready to start the buildhttp://s1311.photobucket.com/user/algaskin31/media/M14%20Stocks/1625635_10151998038606089_1716539859_n_zpsb1b471b5 .jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

Last edited by algaskin31; 02-22-2014 at 08:53 AM.