Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2014, 06:12 PM
Super Moderator

I don't have any AK's but I do have a couple of SKS's and I would rather have someone shooting at me with one of those at 200 yards than someone with a 6.5 Swede at 300 yards.

"The trouble with most people is that they think with their hopes or fears or wishes rather than with their minds."--Will Durant
Old 02-27-2014, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGaskill View Post
I don't have any AK's but I do have a couple of SKS's and I would rather have someone shooting at me with one of those at 200 yards than someone with a 6.5 Swede at 300 yards.
Ha! Well said!

A recent article on AR vs AK ... "Why can't we all get along?" :-)

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...g/#more-299775
May it rest in peace.
Old 02-27-2014, 03:00 PM

As I recall the DoD has three levels of thinking: Doctrine, Strategy and Tactics.

I'm pretty sure that top level Doctrine or Strategy is that the primary purpose of a infantryman is to locate the enemy, hold him in place, get on the phone and call in air or artillery to do most of the killing.

The infantryman carries a rifle for self defense and to pin down the enemy long enough for bombs and shells to kill him.

Does the infantryman still get into rifle duels - of course, but that is not why he is there.

This Doctrine or Strategy may explain why the DoD is not more serious about rifles and rifle marksmanship (at least for the Army).
Old 02-27-2014, 06:57 PM

Just IMHO, you'd be wise to own at least a quality M4gery and a good AK besides the M1A's and Garands and PRACTICE with the 5.56 rifle to get comfortable and proficient using it. Even if you served in the U.S. armed forces and regularly trained with the M16 A1 or A2 or carried it in combat, the M4 is different in how it handles and the variety of attachments and sighting systems it accepts and the conditioning of the shooter's concentration to placing multiple rounds into the target. IMHO we've finally got a good weapon on the AR platform.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:25 PM

Why did they do away with the .276 Pederson? (I know about Macarther and such.) It seems to be the 'intermediate round they are looking for. More power that a .223 and smaller than a .30-06 but still powerful enough. It seems to me like they answered a 1950s-60s problem in 1929.
CMP customer #289103
Feedback
In God We Trust.

Last edited by usriflecaliber.30m1; 02-27-2014 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Spacebars,needtousethem
Old 02-27-2014, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usriflecaliber.30m1 View Post
[...] I know about Macarther and such. [...]
Irony is alive and well.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMC_EXP View Post
I'm pretty sure that top level Doctrine or Strategy is that the primary purpose of a infantryman is to locate the enemy, hold him in place, get on the phone and call in air or artillery to do most of the killing.
No. At least for the Marines the mission of the rifle squad is to locate, close with and destroy the enemy by fire and maneuver and/or repel enemy assault by fire and close combat.

Air and artillery are used to create what is known as the "combined arms dilemma", but you can't take or hold ground with them. This is why everything in the USMC is focused on supporting the infantry. I say this as a USMC artillery officer.

I am not as familiar with Army doctrine, but having trained with them I think they are similar.

Last edited by JimBlaze; 02-28-2014 at 09:14 AM.
Old 02-28-2014, 03:05 AM
Super Moderator

Why did they do away with the .276 Pederson? (I know about MacArthur and such.)

So you don't believe the MacArthur explanation or what? There were 100's of millions of rounds of .30-06 in the warehouses and little to no budget to make new ammo. And on top of that, Garand showed you could make a semi-auto rifle for the .30-06.

"The trouble with most people is that they think with their hopes or fears or wishes rather than with their minds."--Will Durant
Old 02-28-2014, 04:21 AM

Jim:
You are right- the army Doctrine is no different than the USMC Doctrine....
Old 02-28-2014, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gewehr43 View Post
Jim:
You are right- the army Doctrine is no different than the USMC Doctrine....
Thanks for confirming.