Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP South Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2021, 03:15 AM

Default I made the 72 hour round trip to the South Store...

So I went through with driving from Utah to the South Store. I left the Salt Lake valley at 1pm on Tuesday, and I pulled into the CMP parking lot at 1:15am Thursday. I went to a gas station where I felt it was good to sleep in my vehicle, and I went back to the store at 5:30am where there was already a group of people waiting.

With the way they did things, Bobby took our names in the order in which we arrived, and then they let us in 6 at a time for 30 minutes. I was in the second group, so I went in from 8:30 - 9:00. Originally, I was going to sleep as much as I could and show up at 7am thinking I'd be early. Luckily I couldn't sleep that much because those who arrived at around 7:00am ended up being in the groups going in around 10:00 or 10:30 (I can't quite remember).

I drove 72 hours total to spend 30 minutes in the store, but it was totally worth it. Bobby and Colby really helped me out by answering my questions on how I was supposed to do things, and when I told Colby what I was looking for, he put in a lot of energy helping me find it, which I did! Because of how much they helped me look through the rifles, I was able to make my purchase in just that one 30 minute group which enabled me to be back on the road for home around 10:00am, which enabled me to get home Friday evening at a good hour rather than in the middle of the night or late Saturday.

I ended up taking 4 M1's home - 3 service grade and 1 field grade. PLUS I grabbed a copy of Bruce Canfield's M1 book. So it was a successful trip. I'll admit - it was addicting walking into the store and seeing all those M1's knowing I was going to take some home. I'm already thinking of when I can go back!

If any of the SS employees are seeing this - thanks to you all so much for helping me make the most of my experience. As I already said, Bobby and Colby were tremendously helpful, and the ladies finishing up my paperwork were great and very patient while they waited for me to call my credit card since they were rejecting my CMP purchase as fraud and get that all squared away. I could not go to sleep before posting my thanks to them.

As I said, it was a fast 30 minutes, but I loved it. The hard part was the long drive back because I couldn't wait to check out my rifles in more depth.
Here's a link to pictures of my favorite of the 4 - https://imgur.com/a/N5aHF30
Old 01-09-2021, 03:41 AM

You did well!! Enjoy!! Your pick rifle is a substantially correct late WW2 piece!!
Old 01-09-2021, 12:39 PM

Great rifles. Glad it was worth the trip!
Old 01-09-2021, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crow View Post
So I went through with driving from Utah to the South Store. I left the Salt Lake valley at 1pm on Tuesday, and I pulled into the CMP parking lot at 1:15am Thursday. I went to a gas station where I felt it was good to sleep in my vehicle, and I went back to the store at 5:30am where there was already a group of people waiting.

With the way they did things, Bobby took our names in the order in which we arrived, and then they let us in 6 at a time for 30 minutes. I was in the second group, so I went in from 8:30 - 9:00. Originally, I was going to sleep as much as I could and show up at 7am thinking I'd be early. Luckily I couldn't sleep that much because those who arrived at around 7:00am ended up being in the groups going in around 10:00 or 10:30 (I can't quite remember).

I drove 72 hours total to spend 30 minutes in the store, but it was totally worth it. Bobby and Colby really helped me out by answering my questions on how I was supposed to do things, and when I told Colby what I was looking for, he put in a lot of energy helping me find it, which I did! Because of how much they helped me look through the rifles, I was able to make my purchase in just that one 30 minute group which enabled me to be back on the road for home around 10:00am, which enabled me to get home Friday evening at a good hour rather than in the middle of the night or late Saturday.

I ended up taking 4 M1's home - 3 service grade and 1 field grade. PLUS I grabbed a copy of Bruce Canfield's M1 book. So it was a successful trip. I'll admit - it was addicting walking into the store and seeing all those M1's knowing I was going to take some home. I'm already thinking of when I can go back!

If any of the SS employees are seeing this - thanks to you all so much for helping me make the most of my experience. As I already said, Bobby and Colby were tremendously helpful, and the ladies finishing up my paperwork were great and very patient while they waited for me to call my credit card since they were rejecting my CMP purchase as fraud and get that all squared away. I could not go to sleep before posting my thanks to them.

As I said, it was a fast 30 minutes, but I loved it. The hard part was the long drive back because I couldn't wait to check out my rifles in more depth.
Here's a link to pictures of my favorite of the 4 - https://imgur.com/a/N5aHF30
Glad to see youíre trip was a success and congratulations on some fine rifles. Enjoy and happy shooting.
Old 01-09-2021, 10:56 PM

I was the guy standing in line behind you and went in with you. Im glad you were able to get some nice rifles. You seemed really excited. I ended up getting a Krag and that 12000 serial number Springfield. I went back in the afternoon and they did a restock right before close and picked up a 43502xx Springfield with original LMR barrel. it is a LEAD rebuild with etchings on the legs and orange triangle on the grip. The bonus is there was a set of cleaning rods and an Oiler in the stock. Iím glad you made it home safe. Allen

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-10-2021, 10:41 AM

Hi crow,

That was some drive, glad you made it back safe & in GREAT time!
I don't think I could do that much drive time in the car at my age
You Sir are a better man then me!
Maybe the shorter trip to the North store might be a good move for you!

I see you have three rifles with lock bar sights you lucky DEVIL!
Been to the South store a # of times. Think I saw one rifle with the lock bar sights & another guy bought it! Other guys I know were lucky enough to be there, when some were put out & were snapped up quickly.

Now go out & ENJOY them,
broom
Old 01-10-2021, 07:09 PM

Sounds like you did well.........Congrats.............hopefully I can get back over there soon and get a Krag
Old 01-15-2021, 11:01 PM

Okay, Crow, the 3.4 mil SA photos are a joke, right? Weíre supposed to believe that you found a Service Grade with lock bar site, original (probably) 1/45 barrel, and SHM stock? Sounds more like a Correct Grade, so if you got that for SG scratch then thatís the smokenist deal Iíve seen in a while. Iím just jealous. Great find!
Old 01-16-2021, 09:58 AM

Last edited by Stunng23; 02-24-2021 at 06:43 AM.
Old 01-16-2021, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith5150 View Post
If he paid 750 for that he literally stole it! That could have gone to auction

Congrats on the epic haul to Mr. Crow!
Definitely worth the trip! might want to buy a lottery ticket now