Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2021, 07:27 PM

Default New M1 and 1903a3

Well, I thought I was patient and could wait for my CMP order to get here but apparently not. I was buying a mauser from a local classifieds ad and when the kid couldn't tell me anything about it I asked if he had inherited it and if there were any other rifles he wanted to sell. Lo and behold he did so I got a volume discount and decided to pick up an extra m1 and 03a3 before my CMP m1's get here. I got a good deal on both and so would like to know more. First is the garand, the 1903 is posted in its respective section. I have photos of every marking I could find. There are no cartouches anywhere on the stock, nor is there any mark on the barrel. I field stripped it to make sure, and unless its marked underneath the handguard there is nothing. Barrel is mint. Thanks in advance.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/bou83s5pa...iR_vgI9Fa?dl=0
Old 05-02-2021, 07:47 PM

Some nice early parts on that M1! What does it have for a barrel (pull back the operating rod and look on the side of the barrel). Any markings on the stock?
Old 05-02-2021, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeroub View Post
Some nice early parts on that M1! What does it have for a barrel (pull back the operating rod and look on the side of the barrel). Any markings on the stock?
No cartouches or barrel markings. Sorry.
Old 05-02-2021, 08:26 PM

No barrel markings is pretty unusual. Likely to be a commercial barrel in that case.
Old 05-02-2021, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeroub View Post
No barrel markings is pretty unusual. Likely to be a commercial barrel in that case.
I have a M1 barrel that except for a single P has no markings under the op rod but under the rear hand guard there is a SA drawing number. After researching the drawing number it placed the manufacturing date in early 1952. I've heard of other barrels that are the same so perhaps there was a few batches of barrels that escaped having date stamps.
Old 05-02-2021, 08:42 PM

You are definitely looking on the barrel in the correct spot? You’d only be able to see these marks when the op rod is locked back. Marks are on side closer to the breech. You have to look between the hand-guard and stock if that makes sense. Right side of barrel. Just in case.... Carry on.
Old 05-02-2021, 09:52 PM

Yeah I looked there and there is nothing. Please trust me on that. I'm meticulous with my rifles and notice tiny stuff. So does the lack of cartouches indicate she's a rebuild for certain? Any other info on what the number codes on the other parts would be much appreciated.
Old 05-02-2021, 10:36 PM

Any other markings would be under the lower handguard, the one sometimes called the "rear".

If no markings at all, it is probably a Citadel or an old Wilson.

No marks on the stock, by itself, means zilch.
Old 05-03-2021, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coues106 View Post
Yeah I looked there and there is nothing. Please trust me on that. I'm meticulous with my rifles and notice tiny stuff. So does the lack of cartouches indicate she's a rebuild for certain? Any other info on what the number codes on the other parts would be much appreciated.
Looks like you have a short fork follower rod. That's about a $125 bonus. Can't tell for sure but it appears you have a uncut -3 op rod. That's another nice bonus. The single slot gas plug and lockbar sights adds some extra value too.
Old 05-03-2021, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronwall View Post
Looks like you have a short fork follower rod. That's about a $125 bonus. Can't tell for sure but it appears you have a uncut -3 op rod. That's another nice bonus. The single slot gas plug and lockbar sights adds some extra value too.
You are correct- and both of those parts are correct for the SN. Looks like the rifle may also have the correct bolt and unfinished op. rod catch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coues106 View Post
The rifle does not have the “correct” trigger group or sights, and it looks like the barrel and stock set have been replaced too, but it is still an interesting rifle. Probably 99.99% of M1s do not have their original parts, especially a rifle of this vintage. Finding one with this many period correct parts is pretty cool.

Any numbers on the gas cylinder? It would say “D-35449-SA”.