Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2020, 12:41 PM

Default Breda Italian M1D sniper 7.62 conversion NATO Tipo2 Garand

Good Day,
I've known of the Italian 7.62 M1D Tiratore Scelto or TS (marksman or sharpshooter depending on translation) conversions for awhile but did not think there would be an opportunity to purchase an example in the US. I was gobsmacked when an original specimen was offered on one of the auction sites so I jumped on it and added it to the stable. The rifle i received was converted with what appeared to be an original USGI M1D barrel. To do this, the forged USGI block was dismounted, the chamber area was turned down/shorten by 1/2" (typical TIPO 2 conversations) and the required block remounted. The M1D part number was obliterated with scroll work and new markings added to the top of the barrel indicating the conversion was done in 1965.
The woodwork all appear to be Italian walnut and match closely in grain and figure. The M84 scope mount is not US and likely European made. The majority of these mounts have come out of Italy but don't know if they were sourced in Italy or from a NATO ally. Either way, the manufacture is top notch. The flash hider is an Italian made M2 variation and marked the Fabbrica Armi Terni (FAT) 1957 acceptance box stamp and PARAFIAMMA M2, or FLAME HIDER M2. Built along the line of the British No4(T) sniper, the rifle came with the original transit case. is a welcomed addition to my collection. I'm looking forward to see what it does on the range.

Last edited by FlightRN; 02-07-2021 at 07:33 PM. Reason: Added info
Old 07-05-2020, 12:47 PM

Default Breda Italian M1D sniper 7.62 conversion NATO Tipo2 additional pictures

Here are some additional pictures of the Breda 7.62 Italian M1D Sniper. Note the lower chamber area of the barrel was relieved and ramped. This was likely done to aid in functionality. I've seen some examples done this way and others do not have this modification.

Old 07-05-2020, 01:42 PM

Default Seen it on GB

Mi piace lo schioppo!! C
Old 07-05-2020, 09:57 PM

Nice looking rifle. I know next to nothing about the Italian rifles. Doesn’t it seem strange that they would make all of the parts for the rifle, then mess around with reworking the barrel? Just dismounting the barrel block must have been an interesting exercise because of the staked pin. Speaking of which, can you post a photo of the left-hand side of the barrel block? I’d like to see what the staking looks like.
Old 07-06-2020, 02:39 AM

There is a section on the M1D in the book, il Garand in Italia 1951-1996 by Ruggero Filippo Pettinelli. The book is printed in Italian and there is no English translation. I have used a translator APP to read sections. Lots of good photos.....https://www.ebay.com/itm/Il-garand-i...AAAOSw7Z5d-mni
Old 07-06-2020, 07:27 AM

Never saw one, Fantastic pick up! Jealous here!
Old 07-06-2020, 10:06 AM

Wow! That's one of the few shortened US barrels I've seen, they're usually Italian barrels. It also has the early-style T2 op rod, the BM59E op rod (modified for the full-auto sear) later became standard. Beautiful piece!

Eli
Old 07-06-2020, 10:37 AM

Default The best book on Italian Garands

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason60chev View Post
There is a section on the M1D in the book, il Garand in Italia 1951-1996 by Ruggero Filippo Pettinelli. The book is printed in Italian and there is no English translation. I have used a translator APP to read sections. Lots of good photos.....https://www.ebay.com/itm/Il-garand-i...AAAOSw7Z5d-mni
I'd like to echo the sentiments of jason60chev, Ruggero's book on the Italian M1's is a definitive work and the photos are top notch. His understanding and willingness to share information has been a pleasure. Its a must if you enjoy Garands in general.
Old 08-01-2020, 06:03 PM

Default Italian TS PARAFIAMMA M2 & NATO marked M1 Sniper Flash Hider

Good Day,
It appears the flash hiders used by the Italians were reminiscent of the Springfield Armory and later HART heavy base versions. The book, il Garand in Italia 1951-1996 by Ruggero Filippo Pettinelli, shows versions where the markings (PARAFIAMMA M2) were seen roll stamped either on the top or bottom. I don't know if the US supplied Flash Hiders under the Mutual Defense Assistance Act, but if they didn't, that could explain why the Italian Military made their own and as did NATO.

Old 08-01-2020, 09:57 PM

Great looking rifle. Post your range impressions when you take that Beauty out!!!