Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP 1911
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2019, 08:02 PM

Default Purchased a Remington Rand slide to match my lower...

well i purchased a slide to match my lower...

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/847910086

think i got a decent buy? The slide looks to be in good condition. Anyone here know much about slides to tell me if this is ww2 era, or roughly when it may have been manufactured?

its going on this gun:

https://imgur.com/a/coNfwD1

understanding the finish may be slightly different, is this slide correct to my frame?

I read somewhere on this forum that somebody said remingtons came from the factory with slightly different matches on slide/frame colors anyway, so technically if the slide is correct to my frame it wouldnt 100% matter if the finish is an exact match.
Old 12-13-2019, 08:28 PM

If it makes you happy then its worth it.
Old 12-13-2019, 08:38 PM

It is not the correct slide for your frame. Your frame is the early first version of the RR. The correct slide will be stamped on the left side as follows.

REMINGTON RAND INC.
SYRACUSE , NEW YORK

The spread of the stamping is approximately 1 5/8 inches.
Old 12-13-2019, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khenzel View Post
Anyone here know much about slides to tell me if this is ww2 era, or roughly when it may have been manufactured?
All Remington Rand slides are WWII production.

I’m out of town and don’t have access to my books but that is a Type 3 slide. Coolgunsite.com says they were observed from serial number approximately 980000 to end of production, but I’m not sure that is right. Looking at https://m1911info.com the first Type 3 in his collection is 10340xx. If your serial number is higher than that it is the right slide.

EDIT: just looked at the pictures of your frame. The slide you just bought is the wrong type for your frame.

With all due respect, this is one of the problems of being anxious to “correct” something without really knowing what you are looking for. What are you going to do next, spend another couple hundred bucks on another slide? Learn about what you have, learn some history about these great pistols (i.e. Remington Rand made M1911A1 pistols only during WWII) and THEN, if you must, spend money on parts.

Your best bet would be to trade slides with someone who has the right type and needs your type. Your pistol was made during the transition from Type 1 to Type 2 slides. More likely it had a Type 1 but there was usually overlap during a transition so either could be correct. Both are harder to find than a Type 3.

Last edited by Milsurp Collector; 12-13-2019 at 09:17 PM.
Old 12-14-2019, 12:24 AM

Naw if I cared that much for it to match I would be looking to swap all the parts out as well. I'm not that in to it, but I don't much like the idea of a colt slide on a Remington frame either. I am not going to sell my colt as that is how it came to me from the cmp and how it was registered. But I also like having a frame and slide that at least are matching makes.

To me it's like going to a police auction and bidding on a car, and being given a car with a BMW frame and a caddilac body. It just feels a bit off to me.

Sure a correct match would have been sweet, but I'm never selling this, so it's more about how I see my 1911 I guess

Think me weird, but I like what tothemax said... If it makes me happy then it's worth it. =)

Oh, and thanks for the info. Not the info I wanted, but I prefer not to live in ignorance either.

Last question... Did I get a decent deal on this slide?

Last edited by Big_Red; 12-17-2019 at 01:48 PM. Reason: Combine consecutive posts again
Old 12-15-2019, 08:25 AM

" I'm not that in to it, but I don't much like the idea of a colt slide on a Remington frame either."

And oddly enough you are the only person in that pistols 76 year history that thought that.
Old 12-16-2019, 08:19 PM

I wouldn't have paid that much for that slide, but that's just me. Your mileage may vary.

I like your pistol the way it came from CMP.
Old 12-21-2019, 03:11 PM

If you're happy that's all that matters.

If it were mine that GI replacement slide would be back on it toot sweet as it matches much better. Arsenal rebuilds aren't a problem with me and I'm cool with them being mismatched from the arsenal.
Old 12-23-2019, 05:30 AM

My Remington Rand is a darker shade to. Could have came that way or was replacement slide. They made replacement slides to.