Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP 1911
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2021, 04:57 PM

Default Also rolled the dice on a rack grade

I got an fresh 1978 Anniston rebuild service grade in round 1. Wife just got a rack grade in round 2 (RGN was just over 21000). I think it's cool. Hoped to get something with more of a "been there done that" look than the freshie (which I also love). What I guess should be original finish, but very much worn, but no scratches, no bad dings, a painted rack number. Can even see the very faint crossed cannons on rear of frame. No rebuild stamps. Remington Rand frame, with very light but clear serial number. Colt slide with sharp stamps too. The wear on the two matches perfectly. Sure looks like the mag release, thumb safety and slide release are blued, certainly fresher than the frame/slide? The barrel is blue or black park with a P on the left side and C in a square on the right side of the lug (haven't looked up the barrel manu yet, but I'm sure someone can chime in). Barrel rifling looks great, muzzle is a little dinged up. But barrel/bushing and frame/slide fit are just as good as my service grade.

Thank you CMP!

Old 05-06-2021, 05:17 PM

Looks nice.
Old 05-06-2021, 05:18 PM

Looks great! I hardly see anyone share Rack Grades so I felt a bit nervous when I ordered one yesterday. Hoping it turns out as well as yours! This only makes the wait that much more difficult.

Here's hoping I get the confirmation soon, I haven't seen anyone contacted yesterday post that theirs have shipped yet.
Old 05-06-2021, 05:37 PM

Very nice rack. I'm not sure what I'll say when the call comes. Leaning towards a rack or field....

but......
Old 05-06-2021, 05:50 PM

Very nice! I hope to get a similar looking one; I like the worn, original finish as well.
Old 05-06-2021, 06:02 PM

Oh wow. That is nice and love the look.
Old 05-06-2021, 06:28 PM

Very nice. I'm sure "the wife" is thrilled. I'm torn between rack and field. Should be getting the call tomorrow or Monday.
Old 05-06-2021, 07:20 PM

I hope there is a rack grade left when I get the call I am at 26k hope they last till then it is about all I can afford I also rather have the been there done that look . good luck to every body
Old 05-06-2021, 10:47 PM

Nice! I was completely decided on SG when I received the email with my RGN. My thought was that if I could only have one, then make sure it was the best. Now, like others have stated, I'm torn between RG & FG. Not that I would snov a SG, but I'm liking what I see more and more. Thanks for posting
Old 05-06-2021, 10:57 PM

I love the Rack and Field Grades there more original than the Service Grades I think. I like the original look V.S. the Sandblasted or how ever they refinish them and then add the new finish.