Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP 1911
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2021, 08:15 AM

Default Trade RR Slide for Colt slide?

Just picked up my Field Grade 1941 Colt frame with a Remington Rand slide, (type III I believe? Not sure how to tell). The finish is wonderful, not sure if it's original, but the wear on it gives it an abundant amount of character and the swirl marks on the slide conjure an image of hasty wartime production. It holds a mythical energy of a bygone era.

The only thing that could make it even better is a pony on the slide, if someone wants to trade a Colt slide for this RR slide, pm me.

Pics: https://imgur.com/a/g19mIhH

Let's all give it up to the folks at CMP for helping us own a piece of history!
Old 05-15-2021, 09:18 AM

Just looked at your pictures. That is a nice looking pistol and the finish on the frame and slide match very nicely. If it were mine, I would keep it just the way it is. If you change out the slide for a Colt slide you may not have the matching color and finish wear you now have on your pistol. It's your pistol to do as you wish but you may be disappointed at how it will look with a slide that doesn't match the frame. Just my opinion. Enjoy your piece of history.
Old 05-15-2021, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajDave View Post
Just looked at your pictures. That is a nice looking pistol and the finish on the frame and slide match very nicely. If it were mine, I would keep it just the way it is. If you change out the slide for a Colt slide you may not have the matching color and finish wear you now have on your pistol. It's your pistol to do as you wish but you may be disappointed at how it will look with a slide that doesn't match the frame. Just my opinion. Enjoy your piece of history.
In a lot of cases these slides and frames don't match worth a darn. I honestly feel like you are in for an effort in frustration. I have seen people trade and end up with a two tone pistol that looks pretty meh. It's your pistol though and I would just do my best to try and find a good color match. Currently you are one of the rare people who got a well matched pistol color wise.
Old 05-15-2021, 09:59 AM

What year of manufacture is your RR slide?
Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rapidly promoted by the mainstream media, which holds that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Old 05-15-2021, 01:38 PM

That's exactly what I carried in the USMC from mid '85-'90. Rattled like a diesel on a cold morning but still qualified expert with it
Old 05-15-2021, 04:01 PM

That's a great looking GI rebuild .45!
That's exactly how it was last issued in service, or was rebuilt and put in storage.
It's yours to do as you want, but finding putting a Colt slide on would make it just another civilian assembled M1911A1.
It is real American military history in it's present state

VFW Patriots Circle Member
NRA Life Member
PMRPC - CMP/GSM Rifle Match Chairman
GSM Master Instructor
Old 05-15-2021, 04:53 PM

It’s certainly your prerogative to do as you please. But she is pretty awesome as is!!
Old 05-15-2021, 05:09 PM

Seems like the unanimous consensus is that the pistol is perfect the way it is, which I agree. I didn't realize that matching the color would be a challenge, I guess I took it for granted because of how well it matches in its current state.

I'm not sure what year the slide is since it isn't serialized as far as I can tell, but doing some research it seems like it's a type III RR slide, so that would put it 1943-45?

Now it just means I need to find a Remington Rand typewriter so I can explain to my future kids about how a typewriter company helped build pistols for the war effort
Old 05-15-2021, 05:13 PM

Beautiful pistol! Congratulations on a good find
Old 05-15-2021, 08:14 PM

Mine might be close finish wise, hard to tell just by pictures. '43 RR frame, '43 Colt slide. Mine look like the've been together from the start, with matching holster wear. These mixed frame/slide pistols are not "as issued" any more, so if 2 guys want to trade, so what? Doesn't detract from the value or collectability of either. I've seen quite a few direct from the CMP that the frame/slide finishes don't match.

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rapidly promoted by the mainstream media, which holds that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.