Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2012, 07:14 PM

Cool Bolt Assembly

Hello men,
Can anyone tell me how to assemble an M14 bolt without using a bolt tool? I just can't seem to get that sucker together. Thanks guys.

HB
Old 08-17-2012, 07:56 PM

I've had good luck using an empty 30.06 casing in the chamber and installing the bolt with ejector and firing pin. The bolt closes on the case, compressing the ejector and allows the extractor claw to be inserted. Just be sure the firing pin stays in all the way by pointing the rifle down.
Old 08-17-2012, 07:58 PM

Yeah....put the body in a vise pointed toward you. Assemble the bolt by putting in the firing pin, extractor spring/plunger, and ejector spring/ejector. Make sure the ejector has the cutout toward the right side of the bolt or your left when facing the bolt from the front. It needs to be perpindicular to the bolt as the extractor leg fits down through it.

Now place the extractor in the groove, not too far down. Just enough that it will go past the plunger. Make sure the firing pin is in place. A dab a grease in the rear of the bolt/firing pin interface helps. Compress the ejector with a larger punch using your right hand. About twice as big as the ejector. Might come loose and hit you in the finger if don't keep the punch in line with the ejector. Par for the course. Make sure the ejector groove stays perpindicular to the bolt body. If too much tension cut a coil off the ejector spring. Might want to anyway if the ejector spring is new. Won't hurt to cut a coil off.

When the ejector is fully compressed, take a mallet with your left hand and tap the extractor down into place. Place the mallet in reach so you don't have to move. You need to make sure your punch placement allows for complete compression. Might take a few tries. Some of them are real buggers. Cutting a coil makes all the difference sometimes.

That's how I do it without a bolt assembly tool.

Now doing it in the rifle is a snap with the 30.06 case. I just sometimes need to assemble a bolt prior to having everything else together completely as I am building them up. Some folks can do it one handed with a flathead screwdriver. I am not there yet.

Last edited by hammonje; 08-17-2012 at 08:01 PM.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:43 PM

The most important thing is to do it in a small uncluttered room with no carpet and the door closed. Good Shooting.....
Old 08-18-2012, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceresco View Post
The most important thing is to do it in a small uncluttered room with no carpet and the door closed. Good Shooting.....
One of the biggest no-sh*tters of all time. Otherwise use a large clear plastic bag, or just have regrets to consider later if it all "gang aft agley" per Mr. Burns ( and hope it doesn't "lea'e us nought but grief an' pain" for all the effort.)
Old 08-18-2012, 08:05 AM

Wear eye protection. Seriously the 30.06 case method is simple as pie and cheaper than a tool.
Old 08-18-2012, 12:18 PM

I always use a gallon ziplock bag and do the who procedure inside the bag
Old 08-18-2012, 01:23 PM

Cool Bolt Assembly

I spent about 1 1/2 hrs. last night looking for the ejector and spring. Found it on an upper shelf. Finally got it though. Thanks guys...........

HB
Old 08-18-2012, 10:13 PM

Flathead screwdriver. Make sure the groove is lined up with the hold (compress the spring a little to verify alignment. Then push the extractor down
Old 08-19-2012, 01:14 PM

This has worked for me to take my bolts down & put them back together. If you have a small bench vise, a 06 brass, & a small peice of leather its easy. I cut down a once fired 06 to just the base maybe 3/4 inch or so.

I put the bolt and brass in a vise just like it would be in the rifle and slowly shut vise until everything is compressed & snug but I like to still be able rotate the bolt.

Push the extractor out with a punch from the bottom.

Back vice off slowly with your hand over the bolt to catch everything.

Reassemble is just the reverse...This how I do it; don't know how everyone else would, but this works for me.

Preaty smiple and you have not spent $70 for a tool.

Last edited by A.Cassaro; 08-19-2012 at 01:44 PM.