Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2012, 06:24 PM

I wonder if a guy could save the stock with some brass pins and Gorilla glue?
Old 07-04-2012, 07:24 PM

most definatly a depends moment
Old 07-04-2012, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalalp View Post
I wonder if a guy could save the stock with some brass pins and Gorilla glue?
I have fixed some stocks like that with just wood glue... They where M1 Garands though. I think it could be fixed but I would replace the stock liner.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14 View Post
Gentlemen, once and for good, with a 'proper' rifle like this, there is no such thing as a slam fire. It is impossible.

I've personally experienced a slam fire and been way to close to another when it happened. Both occurred in M1 Garands with USGI receivers. They are rare, but not impossible.

My experience was that case in the partial OOB slam fire held together when fired but was ripped in half by the rapid extraction just like a case that has been reloaded too many times. This is in addition to galling up the locking recesses on receiver, the bolt lugs and the op rod.

This case looks like a classic overpressure fired in battery - circumferential expansion of the case head, 45 degree tensile fracture of the case wall along its length, extrusion into the ejector recess, blow out at the extractor (unsupported area of case head). In an M1 Garand I've seen a similar failure torch off the top round in the magazine.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:51 AM

Far too many variables to speculate what happened here and not enough evidence to support any conclusion. Unless the OP can talk further with the shooter and get more information the "best guess" is the TZ case failed after a reload. E.O.S.=End Of Story.
Rick
Old 07-06-2012, 11:38 AM

Yep Nitro, the key word in my statement is proper rifle. Obviously, your's and your neighboring shooter, both had a receiver bridge problem, or other problem.

It is not speculation motorcop. I have seen this many times before. The minimal damage to the mag, stock and cartridge case, are the evidence. The 'out of battery' type of explosion without full support to the case, would have most certainly done more damage. Including to the bolt, receiver/shooter, bystanders, and/or the barrel. I have seen that before too, or several occassions. The damage is devastating in that type, nothing like what we see here in this instance.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:27 PM

You could be correct M14, but I learned a long time ago to have more facts than just a few pictures. There are all sorts of things that could have caused this malfunction but without more information I would be hard pressed to offer a conclusion. We don't even know what the load was in the round that failed. How many times was that case reloaded, etc,etc, etc..... My two cents worth. If I were a ballistics expert maybe I could draw a conclusion from the pics but I am not.
Rick
Old 07-07-2012, 10:49 PM

Wonder if the Isreali cook their brass to scrap it. If so it could be way to soft to be safe. The receiver looks to be a 1980's rifle. The bolt should be GI so I'd doubt demensional problems with one of Springfields cast bolts. Still a picture of the bolt would be nice. I've shot Match TZZ in the late 80's and early 90's. Issued by the GA Gaurd. Was told we gave them some missiles of some sort and the Isreali gave us a bunch of ammo in payment. Stuff was very inaccurate but never had a problem with the brass. Just could not hit a barn at 600 yards. Could be the brass was just reloaded to many times, it does go bad after awhile.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:55 PM

he should have been loading from the mag
did he have a chrome firing pin that stuck in the extended position?reports of that on some bolts
Old 07-07-2012, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in SC View Post
Wonder if the Isreali cook their brass to scrap it. If so it could be way to soft to be safe. The receiver looks to be a 1980's rifle. The bolt should be GI so I'd doubt demensional problems with one of Springfields cast bolts. Still a picture of the bolt would be nice. I've shot Match TZZ in the late 80's and early 90's. Issued by the GA Gaurd. Was told we gave them some missiles of some sort and the Isreali gave us a bunch of ammo in payment. Stuff was very inaccurate but never had a problem with the brass. Just could not hit a barn at 600 yards. Could be the brass was just reloaded to many times, it does go bad after awhile.
I talked with a scrapper here in Ft Lewis WA and they said the brass is run though a "popper" for make sure no live rounds get out. He said it was a giant oven... Maybe the isreali do the same...