Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2021, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfc higgins View Post
When I got the USGI stock and metal hardware straight from the CMP store in the awesome condition of the wood as seen here for $35.00 it shocked me. I loved putting this rifle together! It looks fine and shoots just as well. Later I was on another forum and asked around for a "Lufkin" windage knob and a member sent me one. Lufkin is the town I worked in and live by, though it's not made there. I worked at Lufkin Industries and that company made Cannon carriages and tank transmissions during the war years. Anyway, this M14/M1A is one I've had for a decade or more. Thanks for the compliments and USGI stock information.
I have no affiliation with Lufkin, but still had to put them on my build too. I'm no expert but they seem to be a little rare and a uniquely M14 thing. I was able to find both windage and elevation knob by Lufkin.
Old 09-18-2021, 04:12 PM

I remember those stocks. I ended up buying several for myself and friends when I found out they didn't really have a limit on them. Ended up with everything under the sun...the labels said they were all refurbished by the Rock Island Arsenal back in the late 1980s if I recall correctly. I found birch, walnut and even one nice fiberglass stock. Once I found a GI cleaning rod handle/tool, and one other time a complete cleaning kit with the tool!. Most all had been roughly sanded and most still had a P proof mark in a circle, some had the P inside a square. Most had the acceptance stamp on the side. Removing buttplates you could sometimes find various makers stamps.

I did receive a few "big reds" as Fred's M14 stocks called them. Thicker birch stocks with a distinct red stain. Also got a couple tiger striped ones.
Old 09-22-2021, 09:08 AM

Very nice wood work! I bought a couple of birch stocks from Fred's a few years ago, each had all of the stock hardware attached and one even had a cleaning kit in it.
Old 09-23-2021, 09:46 PM

SFC Higgins, can you post a pic of the DAS?
Old 09-26-2021, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtC View Post
SFC Higgins, can you post a pic of the DAS?
That stamp is not very good, because I ham handed tried to restore it and made a mess of it.

I will get a DAS stamp from Bardalls that sells the stock stamps and cartouches near me in Tyler, TX.

https://bardalls.com/shop/ols/all

Last edited by sfc higgins; 09-26-2021 at 05:51 PM.