Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2022, 04:02 PM

I believe the USS Croaker is (or was) open as a museum in Groton CT. Perhaps more information available from them.
Old 06-24-2022, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb68 View Post
I believe the USS Croaker is (or was) open as a museum in Groton CT. Perhaps more information available from them.
It was in Groton, but has been in Buffalo, NY for a number of years. It is still open to the public. I plan on visiting it this fall.
Old 07-03-2022, 05:00 PM

If you are willing loan to the Buffalo naval and serviceman’s park to go along with its history associated with the croaker would be fitting.

One of the rifles I got in Afghanistan is currently on loan to a museum in flagstaff AZ as part of the Afghanistan section.
Old 07-05-2022, 12:35 AM

Very interesting and great looking rifle, congrats.
Old 07-08-2022, 05:40 PM

So the suggestion has been made that the tag on the stock of this carbine was repurposed from a pre-existing tag found aboard the sub. Today I toured the USS Silversides which is the same type of sub as the USS Croaker. I kept an eye peeled for any tags that looked like the one on this carbine. There were tags everywhere that could have been used to make the tag for this carbine. See the attached picture. I don’t know if the sub had an engraving outfit aboard, but one of the sub tenders in Australia and the Philippines surely did. Pretty cool to pin down the likely source of the material for the tag. I also noted that the officers quarters did not have any sort of personal identification tags present on bunks or lockers.

https://i.imgur.com/twZnmck.jpg
Old 07-08-2022, 08:49 PM

Also I found out the storage location of the small arms aboard the sub. The seating in the enlisted mess area doubled as ammo and small arms storage. Making use of every inch of space!

https://i.imgur.com/ZtyLNAG.jpg
Old 07-09-2022, 06:26 PM

The tag may have been from a room or berth on a sub tender if a relief crew was on board or something similar during a lay up and refit, it could have been from his room on some other ship heading home, from his sub, who knows.

I think it pretty clearly is wartime and from what you have noted, it’s been there an awfully long time.

I think the rifle and tag are just super interesting and really cool all around.

What a great find!!!