Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > CMP Rules
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2021, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post

Correct would mean that your M1 has the correct parts for when it was originally made, but a CMP SG that is partly or even mostly correct is still a mix-master from one or more rebuilds. Shoot it and have fun! A smith could probably give a little crown to it, just enough to clean up the ding. Other option would be to have a Criterion spun on and headspaced.
I did purchase this as a service grade 6 mil garand but according to the differences between service grade and correct ratings, a correct grade is listed as having no crown flaws and no gouges on tthe wood stock. Mine has all age appropriated parts for the s/N and has this crown ding and 2 very small gouges on the stock which in my opinion is the reason it was sold as a service grade with all correct parts rather than a correct grade.

Any thoughts?
Old 04-25-2021, 07:51 PM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

Based on the "P" stock proof your stock is not correct and appears to be a HRA.
Have you ever owned a Garand, shot one, or shot a Garand match before?
I personally think you are making more out of the muzzle ding than whats needed.
If you plan to shoot matches with this rifle you might want to get a new stock from Dupage and finish it off. A new stock will provide you with a tight lock up which could give you a better shooting rifle.
As mentioned many times already, shot it and see how YOU and the rifle perform.

Last edited by Shomway; 04-25-2021 at 07:54 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-25-2021, 08:19 PM

I wouldn't mess with it. I'd say if you wanted a match gun and were really worried about it I would sell that one and get another regular service grade for cheaper or get a CMP Special etc.

A collector would be happy to have that rifle as is and preferably not recrowned. Also, I'm pretty sure that's an HRA stock...and a nice one.

It's your rifle in the end, but someone on here would probably take it off your hands if that one just doesn't do it for you.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Old 04-25-2021, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommiep54 View Post
Also, I'm pretty sure that's an HRA stock...and a nice one.

Yeah looks like you're right about the stock... That sucks. I thought I had something special. All springfield, age-appropriate everything except the stock...
Old 04-26-2021, 05:48 AM
GSM Master Instructor

https://pacifictoolandgauge.com/barr...rown-tool.html
https://pacifictoolandgauge.com/barr...rown-tool.html
Take your pick. Done properly, it is an easy fix and a with a little cold blue it will look perfect. A regular gunsmith may just use whatever crowning tool he has, which will work but not look correct. Recrowning is not rocket science, and is very common. Good luck.
Mike B
Old 04-26-2021, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcheeks38 View Post
Yeah looks like you're right about the stock... That sucks. I thought I had something special. All springfield, age-appropriate everything except the stock...
I'm sure someone would trade you for the correct SA stock that needed one for their HRA. All you need is a 1/2 inch DAS Springfield Stock.

Old 04-26-2021, 09:07 AM

Great rifle as is, I think.
Old 04-26-2021, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTurn View Post
Great rifle as is, I think.
Much appreciated. I just like for things to match.
Old 04-26-2021, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcheeks38 View Post
I did purchase this as a service grade 6 mil garand but according to the differences between service grade and correct ratings, a correct grade is listed as having no crown flaws and no gouges on tthe wood stock. Mine has all age appropriated parts for the s/N and has this crown ding and 2 very small gouges on the stock which in my opinion is the reason it was sold as a service grade with all correct parts rather than a correct grade.

Any thoughts?
Thoughts?

Yes- You have a great rifle and should enjoy it however you see fit. Anything super special would have been set aside for CMP auction. Highly experienced armorers with years of experience and who have handled thousands of these are not likely to miss something that should go to auction. Remember that CMP's mission is to support marksmanship and sales of the M1's is a means to an end. Why would they not do the best job they can to maximize the funds available to support the mission? Perhaps there's a random chance something could sneak out that would have done well in an auction but given the current situation I think that is highly unlikely.

The collectors among us try to buy the most correct rifles they can, then chase parts to reach the most correct status they can. Those rifles are still mix-masters but are at least historically correct for the original production dates. I much more enjoy the 'living history' aspect and only have M1's that I shoot in CMP matches, but I like learning more about these fine rifles from the folks who are into it for collecting and appreciate what they do and what they post. Be happy that yours has a lot of correct parts. If you prefer the collector route you are that much farther ahead and if you want to simply shoot it, you're not going to be affecting the collector value.