Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other > Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2021, 08:56 AM

Default Anyone using an RCBS Matchmaster?

Curious if anyone is using one of the RCBS Matchmasters?

One is supposed to arrive at my place Tuesday and I am considering replacing one of my Chargemasters if it does what it's supposed to.
RVN 67-68
Old 04-25-2021, 09:59 AM

Art,

Half will say it's junk and you should use a beam scale like they do, and half will say it's the best thing ever. I have the Chargemaster and have done the straw mod and re-programed it to sneak up on the desired charge. For working up target loads, I set it for 1/2 grain under and use a very accurate scale to add 1 kernel at a time while the CM is throwing the next charge

I've seen a few posts here where respected competitors really like the Matchmaster. It essentially does the same as my Chargemaster by slowing down the throw and using a smaller tube to drop single kernels. The Techs at RCBS will tell you that the tube on the Chargemaster is way too big and it runs too fast but the marketing people just want speed.

This will make the biggest difference on a Chargemaster

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rapidly promoted by the mainstream media, which holds that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Last edited by mycanoe44; 04-25-2021 at 10:06 AM.
Old 04-25-2021, 11:00 AM

Thanks. I have made some mods to my chargemasters. Biggest improvement was shoving a 5.7 x 28 case with the base cut off in the discharge shoot. Have run thousands of loads without any overruns. I am hoping to get down to the .02 - .04 accuracy rather than the .1 the chargemaster seems to produce.
I know exactly what the generic loaders have to say. Heck I said the same myself for the first 45 years I did hand loading. Then, more than once, I learned to eat crow and catch up with some progress. Sure won't make any significant difference for semi loaders that use a simple volume drop measure but I am talking about the precision stuff. I am sure there are a few that visit here. Just nice to hear from those with practical experience with different areas of loading.
RVN 67-68
Old 04-26-2021, 10:13 AM

I modded my Chargemaster differently. I tried the straw mods and such, and they helped.

But when I watched closely, the issue was clumps of powder dropping just as it got to the desired charge. So I thought, how to break up the clumps.

So what I did, is I took a piece of a pen barrel, and cut longitudinal grooves in it. I used a hobby coping saw. So I cut like 8 grooves.

The rotation is 90 degrees to the grooves, so it causes the clumps to tumble and break up into individual kernals.

Works GREAT.
Old 04-26-2021, 11:20 AM

So nice to share ways of making these machines function better. The 5.7x28 case seems to break up the clumps , if there are any, too.
RVN 67-68
Old 04-26-2021, 05:23 PM

I just unboxed a chargemaster lite today actually. I'm give it a try tonight
Old 04-27-2021, 04:04 AM

Thanks guys. I have been looking a reviews of the Matchmaster for weeks now. Can't get over the .04 gn accuracy in match mode. My measure is supposed to arrive today. Will be setting it on the bench next to my Chargemaster and Lyman 1200 for a little comparison running. Whatta Hobby!
RVN 67-68