Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other > Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2021, 07:38 PM

The Dillon lady said they stopped selling the beam scales over a year ago. I do not trust the digital scales as I have seen them walk when checking them against a beam scale...They will display 46 grains all day long but if you compare the charge to a beam scale, it isn't 46 grains....
Old 05-01-2021, 08:33 AM

Good points about where to place a beam scale. It should be at eye level to see best, and should be away from vibrations.

I use an RCBS digital scale, and have noticed that it can be affected by various types of items on the bench, or by florescent lighting.

Although I carefully calibrate the scale every time I set it up, it sometimes does "walk" by as much as 2 or 3 tenths of a grain, and I usually catch this with my measuring routine.

I use an Ideal 55 powder measure (set just under my desired load amount) to drop the powder on to the pan of the scale. I then place the pan on the scale to see if I need to add or subtract powder to get my exact amount.

When I pour the powder into a casing, I replace the pan on the scale and check to see if it goes to Zero. If it does not, I push the zeroing button on the scale and then I re-weigh what is in the casing.

The point is to realize that this "walking" or drift does sometimes take place, and you have to watch for it.
Old 05-01-2021, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by navyrifleman View Post

I use an RCBS digital scale, and have noticed that it can be affected by various types of items on the bench, or by florescent lighting.

Although I carefully calibrate the scale every time I set it up, it sometimes does "walk" by as much as 2 or 3 tenths of a grain, and I usually catch this with my measuring routine.

The point is to realize that this "walking" or drift does sometimes take place, and you have to watch for it.
I have to let my scale "warm up" for about 20 minutes or so before it stabilizes. I power it up as my first step, then get out session supplies and set up.

Forced air HVAC cycling on and off can cause changes. It is the air movement. My scale/dispenser shelf is a box, with top and sides, to minimize air movement.