Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask CMP
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2021, 02:32 PM

Default Will the CMP replace a lost certificate?

Purchased an m1 carbine back in 2007 and the COA has vanished. Wondering if (even for a fee) it can be replaced?
Old 05-03-2021, 03:26 PM

NO,

The best they will do is for a $25 fee provide a letter that says it was purchased from CMP and the grade it was purchased at. The will not disclose the name of the buyer

NRA Endowment Life Member; Garand Collectors Association (GCA); Carbine Club; Ohio Gun Collector Assoc (OGCA) Life Member
Old 05-03-2021, 03:40 PM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT76 View Post
Purchased an m1 carbine back in 2007 and the COA has vanished. Wondering if (even for a fee) it can be replaced?
If you were the original owner/purchaser, then they will replace. I don't believe there is a fee.
Old 05-03-2021, 03:56 PM

Yes i am. Thank you
Old 05-03-2021, 04:03 PM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

Seems it cost $5 to replace......
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwozdz View Post
It's 5 bucks now!

Dear Sir, I will be happy to help. Below is listed the new guidelines for reprinted COA please read over.

The CMP receives dozens of calls, emails, and letters daily requesting reprinted Certificate’s.
We regret not being able to perform this service for free. The charge for the service is $5.00 per Certificate.

If interested, you may send payment to CMP with serial number information to, Attn: Serial Number Research, 1401 Commerce Blvd. Anniston, AL 36207.
Old 05-04-2021, 03:30 AM

i just bought 2 from a couple clearing out their collection and they provided me with a color copy of their original certificate with their name white'd out. can get a new certificate on good paper for them. i dont care if the name is on it as obviously it is second hand. so if someone has purchased a cmp gun from somewhere else and requested a replacement cert. what have they received (i have ones i have purchased from the NS, these were good deals IMO for what i got)
Old 05-04-2021, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjp View Post
i just bought 2 from a couple clearing out their collection and they provided me with a color copy of their original certificate with their name white'd out. can get a new certificate on good paper for them. i dont care if the name is on it as obviously it is second hand. so if someone has purchased a cmp gun from somewhere else and requested a replacement cert. what have they received (i have ones i have purchased from the NS, these were good deals IMO for what i got)
CMP will only replace the certificate for the original purchaser as described above.
If you are not the original purchaser CMP will (for $25) provide you with a letter stating they sold the rifle as xyz grade on whatever date.

I recall a statement that as CMP has no control over what has been done with the item after sales they will not replace the certificate to subsequent owners (it may have been stripped of good parts, had repro parts added, barrel replaced, etc.).
Many sellers white out or remove the original purchaser name when selling a rifle with certificate, that is common.

If you want a rifle with a certificate with your name you must buy the rifle from CMP yourself.
JH

Zvenoman's Feedback Thread
Old 05-04-2021, 10:00 PM

I bought an M1C off the auction years ago and under "Model" on the certificate that was included they entered "Auction". It always annoyed me that the certificate stated I bought an auction and not an M1C. I wonder if its been too long to get this corrected.