Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other > Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2021, 07:51 AM

Arrow

[QUOTE=smoothy8500;2041659]No kidding. Even a cursory check with a ballistic calculator changing the weight by 2.0gr didn't change POI at 600yds. Heck, 2.0gr change plus tweaking the BC by a potential .01 (BC .462 to .452) still only affected POI by 2" at 600yds.

Conclusion....the weight variance is a big Non-issue.[/QUOTE]

As both of us stated, at 600 yds , is not relevant and the secondary reason is this is always a M1 Garand Focus reloading forum. The mind set is M1 Rifle accuracy and that is the culture here on this forum. While this is all true , the fact is the world is not the M1 Rifle ...I know that is crushing news to most here...but it is a fact.

Thus, precision accuracy has to be flagged at times and this thread is one of those times. Production grade bullets are peachy for M1 rifles out to 600yds but beyond 600 yds, they will get clobbered by Berger and Lapua bullets for a valid reason : Tighter quality control .

If you shoot something other than a M1 Rifle, want precision accuracy (or chase it ) at 800 to 1000 yds, better bullets fly better.

The only solution I have found for long range shooting at sub 1 MOA targets from 1000 yd line is to cull production 308 caliber, 175 gr match grade bullets by weight and load each box with bullets of exact same weight...That brings me closer to Berger / Lapua accuracy.

1000 bullets takes me 4 hours to weigh and cull. Done once, that 1000 will last me 10 weekends. PITA..yeah but I gain significant better accuracy for having done it . However, Bergers and Lapua bullets always out perform my best efforts with production grade Hornadky, Sierrea or Nosler ** bullets.

** On the subject of Nosler. They sell Blems, Production Over Run and their full retail grade bullets. I buy them all, and they all shoot the same degree of accuracy IF I weigh and cull each lot of bullets I buy. Of course they all shoot the same with no work involved culling...if I shoot at 600 yds with my M1.
Old 05-04-2021, 07:54 AM

Arrow

[QUOTE=smoothy8500;2041659]No kidding. Even a cursory check with a ballistic calculator changing the weight by 2.0gr didn't change POI at 600yds. Heck, 2.0gr change plus tweaking the BC by a potential .01 (BC .462 to .452) still only affected POI by 2" at 600yds.

Conclusion....the weight variance is a big Non-issue.[/QUOTE]

As both of us stated, at 600 yds , is not relevant and the secondary reason is this is always a M1 Garand Focus reloading forum. The mind set is M1 Rifle accuracy and that is the culture here on this forum. While this is all true , the fact is the world is not the M1 Rifle ...I know that is crushing news to most here...but it is a fact.

Thus, precision accuracy has to be flagged at times and this thread is one of those times. Production grade bullets are peachy for M1 rifles out to 600yds but beyond 600 yds, they will get clobbered by Berger and Lapua bullets for a valid reason : Tighter quality control .

If you shoot something other than a M1 Rifle, want precision accuracy (or chase it ) at 800 to 1000 yds, better bullets fly better.

The only solution I have found for long range shooting at sub 1 MOA targets from 1000 yd line is to cull production 308 caliber, 175 gr match grade bullets by weight and load each box with bullets of exact same weight...That brings me closer to Berger / Lapua accuracy.

1000 bullets takes me 4 hours to weigh and cull. Done once, that 1000 will last me 10 weekends. PITA..yeah but I gain significant better accuracy for having done it . However, Bergers and Lapua bullets always out perform my best efforts with production grade Hornady, Sierrea or Nosler ** bullets.

** On the subject of Nosler. They sell Blems, Production Over Run and their full retail grade bullets. I buy them all, and they all shoot the same degree of accuracy IF I weigh and cull each lot of bullets I buy. Of course they all shoot the same with no work involved culling...if I shoot at 600 yds with my M1.
Old 05-10-2021, 07:38 AM

Hmm, I just ran the numbers through JBM, and changing the bullet weight, keeping the same BC does not change the point of impact at all.

I would suspect that any change would be due to a change in velocity.

10 fps change in my .308 long range load, changes the point of impact by 6 inches at 1200 yards.