Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other > Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2021, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpShooter82 View Post
When reloading pistol I check about every 25th charge as well, even on my progressive press. I do the same for .223 on the progressive press.

Last year I started loading for a .308 bolt gun that I plan to shoot target/steel out to around 600 yards. So while doing load development I was weighing every charge. I have continued doing so for .30-06 that I am working up now. I have been using Varget and IMR 4064 and I cannot get consistent charges from my Lee powder measure. So since my OCD tends to flare up when I am reloading I have just weighed every charge and I believe my beam scale over the electronic scale.

I have been looking at other powder measures as well but have not made a decision as of yet.

I am not a latest and greatest person either, and I am not convinced that you always get what you pay for. I also feel that function trumps form any day. Most of my equipment I purchased when I first started reloading and was not sure if I would be in it for the long haul. Well, I am and the rabbit hole is getting deeper so I will upgrade equipment as it is needed.

Eric

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk
My first advice is to ditch the Lee powder measure and scale. I like the older RCBS Uniflow and their 5-10 scale. You can usually find these used, at good prices. Just make sure they're complete. The Uniflow measure has two powder drums (large & small) with corresponding adjustment screws and two sizes of drop tubes.

There's a complete set with stand on Ebay now with only 3 bids... ends in 2 days.

CORRECTION: I have the 5-10 scale, not the 5-0-5
Click Here For My Feedback

In honor of my father, Howard C. Ricks. Corporal, Co. E, 2nd Battalion, 20th Marine Engineers, 4th Marine Division. Later renamed Co. B, 4th Pioneer Battalion after Marianna Operation. Service dates February 1943 to October 31, 1945, Combat action: Roi-Namur, Saipan, Tinian and Iwo Jima. His rifle SA 893999 met "Captain Crunch".
http://wwiimemorial.com/Registry/pla...oreeID=1841138

Last edited by sigman2; 05-02-2021 at 07:34 PM.
Old 05-06-2021, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpShooter82 View Post
There is nothing in the directions for the one I have on how to recalibrate and I see no obvious place to adjust it.

I know I need a set of check weights but how do you actually adjust the scale if it is found to need adjusting?

Eric
Good ones will come with a calibration weight.

You would turn it on, let it warm up. Then press the Zero button to have it adjust to read 0.0 without anything on it. This put on the calibration weight. And see that it reads the right number. A good scale will have a Cal button, that you would press with the weight on it, and it will adjust to be correct.

The assumption is that weights in between zero and the calibration weight will also be correct.

And that is where the check weights come in handy. Best would be a weight (I LOVE the idea of individual weights made from copper wire), but a set like the RCBS kit work well. You don't HAVE to check at the exact weight, but close will be fine.

So if you are throwing a 43.5 grain charge. A 40 grain check weight would be fine.

Unless you one of those who wants cuts grains of powder to get the charge to the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th decimal place.
Old 05-12-2021, 08:52 AM

I use a RCBS 505 beam scale. With it the only way I found to accurately determine when the beam pointer is lined up with fixed scale on the frame is to build a platform to get the scale up close to eye level.

Try to use it below eye level and two bad things happen: (1) looking down at it the parallax means inaccurate. (2) bend over to read it and get neck and back pain. For me, an elevated platform is the way to go.

Beam scales need to be level and kept clean.

When I had access to an extremely accurate lab scale I made 40 and 50 grain calibration weights. I use these to verify readings on the 505.

I used a cheap PACT digital scale for a while but no matter what I did it drifted out of calibration during use. Caused me to pull a lot of bullets and start over.

Gave up on the PACT and went back to the 505.

I throw charges a little light then use a trickler to finish them off.
“After all is said and done, successful rifle shooting on the range is nothing more than first finding a rifle and lot of ammunition which will do precisely the same thing shot after shot, and then developing the same skill in the rifleman.” ~ Capt. E. C. Crossman (Book of the Springfield)
Old 05-12-2021, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMC_EXP View Post
I use a RCBS 505 beam scale. With it the only way I found to accurately determine when the beam pointer is lined up with fixed scale on the frame is to build a platform to get the scale up close to eye level.

Try to use it below eye level and two bad things happen: (1) looking down at it the parallax means inaccurate. (2) bend over to read it and get neck and back pain. For me, an elevated platform is the way to go.

Beam scales need to be level and kept clean.

When I had access to an extremely accurate lab scale I made 40 and 50 grain calibration weights. I use these to verify readings on the 505.

I used a cheap PACT digital scale for a while but no matter what I did it drifted out of calibration during use. Caused me to pull a lot of bullets and start over.

Gave up on the PACT and went back to the 505.

I throw charges a little light then use a trickler to finish them off.
I have built a platform for my scale and trickler, level it each time. It sure has made a difference,,,no more sore neck and I feel confident that I am looking at the scale the same each time. I too like to through charges a little light and trickle them up, about .3gr.

I get consistent charges out of my powder measure with Win231 but not so consistent with IMR4064.

I have ordered the Lyman check weights, they should be here next week.

Eric

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk