Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other > Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2021, 09:38 AM

rcolarco
Thank you for the advice!
Old 05-16-2021, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikkineaux View Post
I just started reloading .308 for my M1A & AR-10 & have found that unless I use new brass that I have to crimp the crap out of a round to keep the bullet from moving forward when the bolt "slams" into battery. I even bought an annealer which helped a little but a Sierra boattail would still move forward a few thousands when "slammed into the chamber so I tightened my crimping die and now I have a "bottle neck" around the bullet at the neck of the round.
This sounds like your expanding ball is too large.

You need to measure a sized case and a bullet. And compare them to make sure you have enough neck tension.
Old 05-17-2021, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
This sounds like your expanding ball is too large.

You need to measure a sized case and a bullet. And compare them to make sure you have enough neck tension.
Good advice from Pinecone and worthy of your attention. Expander balls are cheap.
Old 05-17-2021, 09:05 AM

Had an issue with my 45 ACP loads not chambering in one of my pistols. I was using an rcbs die to both seat and crimp. After much trial and error I was able to get it set right. However, the next time I loaded, It was off again. The adjustment was very fine to get it right. Solved the problem by getting a Lee factory crimp die. So I seat with the rcbs and crimp with the Lee. An extra strep, but well worth it.
Old 05-17-2021, 10:38 AM

When I shot long range, I measured the heck out of EVERYTHING, bullet, brass, et al. I stuck all my loads in little safes to keep them unspoiled. Et cet. No huge crimp need there. I did crimp occasionally, just for giggles and grins, but I don't shot as well as my CG63, so didn't really mark any difference out of psychological. If you get a psych advantage from it, use it. Hunting: I don't measure the heck out of every little thing so I stick my reloads in a divided box, carry them to wherever (range, backyard, Alaska, other) so they can get jiggled around without effect. I crimp them to keep them consistant enough to maintain "minute of moose" (or deer or blue whale or whatever). Those are my rules and I'm sticking to them. I too have the Lee die so I try to use it every so often to get my money's worth out of it.
Old 05-19-2021, 10:48 AM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikkineaux View Post
I just started reloading .308 for my M1A & AR-10 & have found that unless I use new brass that I have to crimp the crap out of a round to keep the bullet from moving forward when the bolt "slams" into battery. I even bought an annealer which helped a little but a Sierra boattail would still move forward a few thousands when "slammed into the chamber so I tightened my crimping die and now I have a "bottle neck" around the bullet at the neck of the round.
Put your expander rod/ball into a drill and use 1500 grit emery cloth th reduce it's size followed by fine steel wool for polishing. That will cure the problem. Basically you appear to have a defective, over size expander ball. It's been known to happen. OR, you are not cleaning the lube out of the case neck after sizing. I've used everything from the cheapest Lee dies to expensive Redding Comp dies and the only cases I've crimped are those used in tube magazines and heavy magnum auto rifles. My bullets never move. But, should I screw up and forget to fully clean the lube out of the neck it's a different story. I've found tumbling an insufficient cleaning method. All my cases, after sizing, get an Acetone bath or get wet tumbling. "Problem" solved.

I'm surprised the annealer helped since it actually softens the brass neck. LOL, maybe by using it you are melting out that left over lube. :-O

Oh, and if you intend to keep crimping stop using the seating die to roll crimp as you appear to be doing. There isn't a more inefficient or less accurate method to crimp cases on earth. EVERY SINGLE CASE must be EXACTLY the same length to get even crimping and consistent neck tension. Buy yourself a taper crimp or Lee Factory Crimp die if you want consistency from your crimping operation or start trimming your cases between every reloading cycle.

Last edited by lapriester; 05-19-2021 at 11:01 AM.
Old 05-19-2021, 11:05 AM

I feel safer crimping semi auto rounds because of the fact that they are being fed at high speed and coming in contact with feed ramps, the edge of chambers etc. If the neck tension is light you might have a situation with a bullet being set back when it loads.
Old 05-19-2021, 08:38 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Str8liner View Post
I feel safer crimping semi auto rounds because of the fact that they are being fed at high speed and coming in contact with feed ramps, the edge of chambers etc. If the neck tension is light you might have a situation with a bullet being set back when it loads.
Naw. That would be so rare it isn't worth the extra step. After 10's of thousands of rounds I've loaded for my semis I'm still waiting for it to happen.
Old 05-20-2021, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapriester View Post
Naw. That would be so rare it isn't worth the extra step. After 10's of thousands of rounds I've loaded for my semis I'm still waiting for it to happen.
I guess it depends on your own situation. I have owned a large number of different semi autos and even larger number of different brand magazines and you are going to have some occasional feeding jams. I don't mind putting a mild crimp to save bullet setback. I also have tried new bullets with different ogive's and had them stick in rifling when chambered. A slight crimp will keep this from happening. Scope mounts on semi's will occasionally trap a spent case in the action and cause a jam. Crimping to me is kinda like insurance...its good to have just in case.

Last edited by luigi; 05-20-2021 at 09:14 AM.
Old 05-20-2021, 05:54 PM

I reload for my 357m smith snub. Years ago I found when reloading 95gr jhp’s in 38spl for my practice rounds I was getting a lot of unburnt unique flakes all over the gun and my hands. I’m not sure how I figured it out but I put a better crimp on the cases and the unburnt powder issue vanished.

R/s, Hiller........