Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > EIC Pistol
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2020, 08:07 PM

Default "Suitable" 1911 45acp.

Fellows. Excuse my "over enthusiasm" about my "consideration" of taking up CMP handgun shooting. My questions may well be sporadic and alot of my interest may be in passing so.......

From my very minimum reading of the the CMP forums as well as looking around the 'net it seems that the SA 1911 Range Officer Target in 45 acp is considered a pretty good choice for a 1911 if one would like to shoot in....1911 matches (?). Please excuse me as I'm somewhat "confused" by the different pistol shooting events....both CMP and NRA.

My understanding is that this specific 1911 comes from SA with many of the features "desirable" on a 1911 IF the 1911 is "required" for shooting a specific type of CMP/NRA event.

I also read of the very expensive "match" pistols being used in some CMP/NRA pistol events but at this time I think those types of events are not of my interest.

If this specific SA 1911 is "desirable" what else is needed to make it "competitive"? I FULLY realize that the shooters skill level is important... heck I see that shooting HP Rifle... BUT..... I have also seen potentially good rifle shooters get very dismayed at their performance at a rifle match NOT because of their skill level but RATHER due to the rifle they brought to the line.

I guess what I am asking is if the SA 1911 Range Officer Target model (must be TARGET not other versions?) would be a firearm that would be more than adequate for a "newbie" and would not "hold me back" in doing well in 1911 matches? If so...any other "legal" mods should be considered?
Old 11-28-2020, 08:27 PM

Yeah, the Range Officer is fine. Most people recommend it just because itís cheap and has adjustable sights. Some of the early ones happened to have excellent accuracy for what they were, but all of them should be sufficient. If later on you really get into Service Pistol you can always rebarrel it and get a trigger job. You can either get the 45 or the 9mm. Both are CMP legal.

The other pistol worth recommending is the new American made Sig P210, which has great accuracy, but would need a spring change to bump it up to 4 lbs.
Old 11-28-2020, 08:57 PM

Try a Rock Island 1911. Good quality and low price. Several models from pretty much stock USGI model to some that are more tricked out.

Last edited by BSAGuy; 11-28-2020 at 09:00 PM.
Old 11-28-2020, 10:02 PM

The Range Officer is a really good choice. Buds Gun Shop usually has them at a good price.
Some gunsmiths will not work on Rock Islands. I watched one shooter with a RI lose his front sight with the first shot out of the pistol.
I would recommend getting an RO in .45 rather than 9mm, that way you can use it for both the Centerfire and .45 matches in NRA competitions and EIC matches. You're going to be attending a lot NRA matches to practice for whatever EIC matches you can attend.
The .45 is usually more accurate out of the box, than the 9mm. The .45 is more forgiving using various loads.
We had one shooter here who legged out in over two summers, made the President's 100 and made NRA Master with his EIC .45.
Old 11-28-2020, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDRT View Post
The Range Officer is a really good choice. Buds Gun Shop usually has them at a good price.
Some gunsmiths will not work on Rock Islands. I watched one shooter with a RI lose his front sight with the first shot out of the pistol.
I would recommend getting an RO in .45 rather than 9mm, that way you can use it for both the Centerfire and .45 matches in NRA competitions and EIC matches. You're going to be attending a lot NRA matches to practice for whatever EIC matches you can attend.
The .45 is usually more accurate out of the box, than the 9mm. The .45 is more forgiving using various loads.
We had one shooter here who legged out in over two summers, made the President's 100 and made NRA Master with his EIC .45.
Its the TARGET model we're talking about ...is that correct?
Old 11-28-2020, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptf18 View Post
Its the TARGET model we're talking about ...is that correct?
Yes.
https://www.springfield-armory.com/1...5-acp-handgun/
Old 12-16-2020, 08:50 AM

For what it's worth, I started shooting NRA Bullseye this fall. I am running a Ruger mkIV 22/45 and Springfield Range Officer, both shoot my current ability. As in, any upgrades or higher end pistols would not likely improve my scores for quite awhile yet. Same advice I got when shooting HP, spend your money and time in feeding your firearms and working on your skills than go for the high dollar firearms.
Old 12-16-2020, 07:33 PM

Range officer is exc choice for a starter Pistol for Bullseye/precision Pistol and leg matches. At the worst they need a trigger tune. I have a used Loaded model that someone put a LPA adjust rear sight on and I have shot 260 270's with it in leg matches with softball.

You can pretty much shoot anything for leg matches but imop a nice heavy 1911 with good trigger and soft ball or 185 jhp bullseye load is hard to beat.
Old 12-17-2020, 11:14 AM

Would a Dan Wesson A2 work?
Old 12-17-2020, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmark View Post
Would a Dan Wesson A2 work?
You would need to change the sights to adjustable ones.